Aug 14, 2012, 7:41 PM EST
It would cost the Red Wings considerably to acquire him. But Yandle, who turns 26 next month, is far more worthy of it than Bouwmeester.
The Red Wings have inquired about Yandle. But what complicates their pursuit is the perilous ownership situation in Phoenix.
(Krupa goes on to discuss the possibility of Coyotes players becoming available through a “dispersal draft,” but we’ll just move on from that subject.)
Here’s a quick-and-dirty breakdown of what the two defensemen bring to the table:
Yandle – 25 years old, cap hit: $5.25 million through 2015-16, 43 points in 2011-12
Bouwmeester – 28 years old, cap hit: $6.68M through 2013-14, 29 points in 2011-12
Of course, their respective teams might require different assets in a trade, but the Red Wings at least have options to fill the gaping holes in their defense.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 8
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (183)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)