Aug 14, 2012, 7:41 PM EDT
It would cost the Red Wings considerably to acquire him. But Yandle, who turns 26 next month, is far more worthy of it than Bouwmeester.
The Red Wings have inquired about Yandle. But what complicates their pursuit is the perilous ownership situation in Phoenix.
(Krupa goes on to discuss the possibility of Coyotes players becoming available through a “dispersal draft,” but we’ll just move on from that subject.)
Here’s a quick-and-dirty breakdown of what the two defensemen bring to the table:
Yandle – 25 years old, cap hit: $5.25 million through 2015-16, 43 points in 2011-12
Bouwmeester – 28 years old, cap hit: $6.68M through 2013-14, 29 points in 2011-12
Of course, their respective teams might require different assets in a trade, but the Red Wings at least have options to fill the gaping holes in their defense.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)