Aug 14, 2012, 7:41 PM EDT
It would cost the Red Wings considerably to acquire him. But Yandle, who turns 26 next month, is far more worthy of it than Bouwmeester.
The Red Wings have inquired about Yandle. But what complicates their pursuit is the perilous ownership situation in Phoenix.
(Krupa goes on to discuss the possibility of Coyotes players becoming available through a “dispersal draft,” but we’ll just move on from that subject.)
Here’s a quick-and-dirty breakdown of what the two defensemen bring to the table:
Yandle – 25 years old, cap hit: $5.25 million through 2015-16, 43 points in 2011-12
Bouwmeester – 28 years old, cap hit: $6.68M through 2013-14, 29 points in 2011-12
Of course, their respective teams might require different assets in a trade, but the Red Wings at least have options to fill the gaping holes in their defense.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 6
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 21
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36