Aug 14, 2012, 1:15 PM EST
From July 16-Aug 14, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
51-22-9, 111 points. First in the Northwest Division, first in the Western Conference, Presidents’ Trophy winners. Lost in the conference quarterfinals to Los Angeles (4-1).
First round, 26th overall — Brendan Gaunce, C (OHL Belleville)
Vancouver’s summer narrative was — and continues to be — the plight of Roberto Luongo.
So, why no deal?
Canucks GM Mike Gillis repeatedly preached patience during summer — then practiced it throughout. He said the club would be comfortable heading into next season with both Luongo and Schneider in the mix, and doesn’t appear to be bluffing…though it should be noted that, with labor uncertainty, Gillis might have additional extra decision-making time at his disposal.
Vancouver will be similar up front but feature an altered look on the blueline. Gone is one of the longest-tenured Canucks (Salo) and a pair of depth guys in Gragnani and Rome, the latter registering a career-high in points last season.
It seems likely that Garrison — a hard-shooting power play ace — will step in and replace Salo, while Keith Ballard could end his stay in Alain Vigneault’s doghouse and play a more significant role. The 29-year-old veteran appeared in a career-low 47 games last year and, given his $4.2 million cap hit, is probably expected to do more in his third year with the club.
In short, the Canucks seem to have adopted the offseason strategy of the Bruins, the team that beat them in the 2011 Stanley Cup finals:
Forget last year’s quick playoff exit, embrace a new starting goalie, trust the core veteran group and try to make another run.
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of the Canucks’ 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 16
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (183)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)