Aug 14, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Our final team is the Vancouver Canucks.
It took a while for the Canucks to shake off the 2011 Stanley Cup finals, but they eventually soldiered on and managed a second consecutive Presidents Trophy. The Los Angeles Kings made it certain that the 2012 postseason wouldn’t be a long one, however, dispatching Vancouver in five games.
The Roberto Luongo saga still needs to be sorted out, and depending on who they acquire that way, the Canucks could see some extra gains.
If nothing else, Vancouver continued its tradition of adding noteworthy free agent defensemen (see: Hamhuis, Dan) by landing hard-shooting blueliner Jason Garrison.
Beyond that, the Canucks hope to see rebounds from the likes of Ryan Kesler, who underwent offseason surgery.
Stay tuned with PHT for plenty of stories on these regular contenders.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)