Aug 14, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Our final team is the Vancouver Canucks.
It took a while for the Canucks to shake off the 2011 Stanley Cup finals, but they eventually soldiered on and managed a second consecutive Presidents Trophy. The Los Angeles Kings made it certain that the 2012 postseason wouldn’t be a long one, however, dispatching Vancouver in five games.
The Roberto Luongo saga still needs to be sorted out, and depending on who they acquire that way, the Canucks could see some extra gains.
If nothing else, Vancouver continued its tradition of adding noteworthy free agent defensemen (see: Hamhuis, Dan) by landing hard-shooting blueliner Jason Garrison.
Beyond that, the Canucks hope to see rebounds from the likes of Ryan Kesler, who underwent offseason surgery.
Stay tuned with PHT for plenty of stories on these regular contenders.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)