Aug 14, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Our final team is the Vancouver Canucks.
It took a while for the Canucks to shake off the 2011 Stanley Cup finals, but they eventually soldiered on and managed a second consecutive Presidents Trophy. The Los Angeles Kings made it certain that the 2012 postseason wouldn’t be a long one, however, dispatching Vancouver in five games.
The Roberto Luongo saga still needs to be sorted out, and depending on who they acquire that way, the Canucks could see some extra gains.
If nothing else, Vancouver continued its tradition of adding noteworthy free agent defensemen (see: Hamhuis, Dan) by landing hard-shooting blueliner Jason Garrison.
Beyond that, the Canucks hope to see rebounds from the likes of Ryan Kesler, who underwent offseason surgery.
Stay tuned with PHT for plenty of stories on these regular contenders.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 6
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 29
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)