Aug 14, 2012, 10:40 PM EDT
While the future of the Vancouver Canucks’ defense and goaltending seems established, the majority of their forwards face some uncertainty.
It’s reasonable to say that the team will be interested in bringing back many of these guys anyway, but here are the players whose deals are set to expire after a season or two:
Alexandre Burrows ($2 million cap hit) – Any “NHL’s biggest bargains” list must include Burrows’ name. Keeping him around after 2012-13 could prove very costly.
Manny Malhotra ($2.5M) – Still valuable defensively even after a scary eye injury.
Mason Raymond ($2.275M) – Hoping to redeem his career and fatten his bank account.
Chris Higgins ($1.9M) – Speedy forward found a great fit in Vancouver so far.
Two more seasons
The Sedin twins ($6.1M) – Could easily command more than their current cap hits on the open market. Even with two more years of mileage, they’re likely to be pricey – and probably would prefer to stay.
Jannik Hansen ($1.35M) – Underrated winger might earn himself a solid raise.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)