Aug 14, 2012, 10:40 PM EDT
While the future of the Vancouver Canucks’ defense and goaltending seems established, the majority of their forwards face some uncertainty.
It’s reasonable to say that the team will be interested in bringing back many of these guys anyway, but here are the players whose deals are set to expire after a season or two:
Alexandre Burrows ($2 million cap hit) – Any “NHL’s biggest bargains” list must include Burrows’ name. Keeping him around after 2012-13 could prove very costly.
Manny Malhotra ($2.5M) – Still valuable defensively even after a scary eye injury.
Mason Raymond ($2.275M) – Hoping to redeem his career and fatten his bank account.
Chris Higgins ($1.9M) – Speedy forward found a great fit in Vancouver so far.
Two more seasons
The Sedin twins ($6.1M) – Could easily command more than their current cap hits on the open market. Even with two more years of mileage, they’re likely to be pricey – and probably would prefer to stay.
Jannik Hansen ($1.35M) – Underrated winger might earn himself a solid raise.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)