Aug 13, 2012, 2:47 PM EDT
Gilbert Brule‘s run in the NHL is taking a sabbatical.
Brule has reportedly signed a one-year deal with the ZSC Lions of the Swiss league according to the team’s website (link in German). He had five goals and nine assists in 33 games last season with the Coyotes.
As you may remember, Brule is one of many failed first-round picks by the Columbus Blue Jackets, going sixth overall in the 2005 draft. Brule was chosen ahead of guys like Anze Kopitar, Marc Staal, and T.J. Oshie to name a few. Oops.
Brule could be heading to Switzerland to avoid any potential lockout issues or he’s reading the tea leaves the right way after it took him a while to land a job last season with Phoenix. Either way, he’ll see if he can hone his game in the Alps this season.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)