Aug 13, 2012, 12:29 PM EDT
NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman knows business is good as he managed to get a raise last year.
Chris Botta of Sports Business Journal reports Bettman pulled down nearly $8 million last season, up from $7.5 million the year before. With the owners duking it out with the players, the timing of this information becoming public couldn’t be more awkward.
More from Botta:
The filing reported compensation for nine of the NHL’s top officers. Several, including Bettman, received notable pay increases from the previous year. NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly made $2.86 million in 2010-11 after making just more than $2 million the previous season. Chief Operating Officer John Collins received $1.25 million in bonus and incentive compensation directly tied to the league’s business growth. That bonus brought his total pay to $2.32 million, almost double his 2009-10 season compensation of $1.2 million.
It wasn’t all news about the heads of the NHL pulling down the big bucks as the league lost $14.7 million for its business operations. The league also paid out over $6 million to lawyers to help handle their situation with the Phoenix Coyotes.
The NHLPA is probably pleased at seeing this information come out now. It’s hard for the lead guy on the owners’ side to cry poor when his salary keeps going up.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)