Aug 13, 2012, 5:38 PM EDT
NHLPA head Donald Fehr hinted at the players’ upcoming counter-proposal today, prompting others to speculate regarding what exactly that “alternate view” might be.
Sportsnet’s Michael Grange believes that Fehr and the NHLPA will propose a modified system that might include a luxury tax and revenue sharing.
Rather than an artificial drag on salaries by way of a hard cap, how about a voluntary tax — a luxury tax — on teams that see fit to invest in talent?
How about an NHL where, rather than weaker markets being propped up squeezing down the cost of labour, franchises that have unique advantages share some of their profits with those that don’t?
It’s 180 degrees from what the owners have come to enjoy and the “status quo but better” deal they’re seeking now.
If Fehr goes with this strategy, it could echo the thoughts of an insider who believes that the greatest conflict of this round of negotiations actually pits big market and smaller market owners against each other.
Having a higher ceiling for the “rich” teams while simultaneously pumping more money into the smaller markets would theoretically make the pool of money deeper.
Which would be music to the players’ ears.
We – or at least the owners – will find out if that is indeed the NHLPA’s stance on Tuesday.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 20
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 61
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 14
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)