Aug 13, 2012, 5:38 PM EDT
NHLPA head Donald Fehr hinted at the players’ upcoming counter-proposal today, prompting others to speculate regarding what exactly that “alternate view” might be.
Sportsnet’s Michael Grange believes that Fehr and the NHLPA will propose a modified system that might include a luxury tax and revenue sharing.
Rather than an artificial drag on salaries by way of a hard cap, how about a voluntary tax — a luxury tax — on teams that see fit to invest in talent?
How about an NHL where, rather than weaker markets being propped up squeezing down the cost of labour, franchises that have unique advantages share some of their profits with those that don’t?
It’s 180 degrees from what the owners have come to enjoy and the “status quo but better” deal they’re seeking now.
If Fehr goes with this strategy, it could echo the thoughts of an insider who believes that the greatest conflict of this round of negotiations actually pits big market and smaller market owners against each other.
Having a higher ceiling for the “rich” teams while simultaneously pumping more money into the smaller markets would theoretically make the pool of money deeper.
Which would be music to the players’ ears.
We – or at least the owners – will find out if that is indeed the NHLPA’s stance on Tuesday.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 35
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 38
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 24
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 40
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 91
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: IIHF highlights: Sweden 3, Finland 0