Aug 13, 2012, 5:38 PM EDT
NHLPA head Donald Fehr hinted at the players’ upcoming counter-proposal today, prompting others to speculate regarding what exactly that “alternate view” might be.
Sportsnet’s Michael Grange believes that Fehr and the NHLPA will propose a modified system that might include a luxury tax and revenue sharing.
Rather than an artificial drag on salaries by way of a hard cap, how about a voluntary tax — a luxury tax — on teams that see fit to invest in talent?
How about an NHL where, rather than weaker markets being propped up squeezing down the cost of labour, franchises that have unique advantages share some of their profits with those that don’t?
It’s 180 degrees from what the owners have come to enjoy and the “status quo but better” deal they’re seeking now.
If Fehr goes with this strategy, it could echo the thoughts of an insider who believes that the greatest conflict of this round of negotiations actually pits big market and smaller market owners against each other.
Having a higher ceiling for the “rich” teams while simultaneously pumping more money into the smaller markets would theoretically make the pool of money deeper.
Which would be music to the players’ ears.
We – or at least the owners – will find out if that is indeed the NHLPA’s stance on Tuesday.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 7
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 10
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 18
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)