Aug 13, 2012, 2:10 PM EDT
Jean-Sebastien Giguere will be sticking around in Denver.
The Colorado Avalanche announced they’ve signed the backup goalie to a one-year extension. Giguere had signed a two-year deal with the Avs last season and was set to become a free agent after this year. Now he’ll be sticking around through the 2013-14 campaign. Mike Chambers of the Denver Post reports his extension is worth $1.5 million.
At 35 years-old, he’s no longer the starter he was in Anaheim but instead working as Semyon Varlamov‘s backup in Colorado. He had a solid bounce-back season for the Avs following what was a miserable season with the Maple Leafs seeing his numbers go up across the board.
Both Varlamov and Giguere are signed through 2014.
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 1
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 49
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (64)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)