Aug 13, 2012, 4:14 PM EDT
The Canucks took care of a little business today getting 2012 first-round pick Brendan Gaunce locked into his three-year entry-level deal.
Gaunce is a 6’2″ 205 pound centerman who had a breakout season with the Belleville Bulls of the OHL last season. He scored 28 goals and added 40 assists for the Bulls last season putting him on the map as a top prospect. The Canucks locked him up with the 26th overall pick in the draft.
Chances are most likely he’ll spend another year or two in Belleville before getting a longer look in Vancouver. Having guys like Henrik Sedin and Ryan Kesler at center help bottle things up a bit for younger guys, just ask Cody Hodgson.
- Treliving would be ‘shocked’ if Bennett sticks with Flames in 14-15 3
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 8
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 15
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 41
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22