Aug 13, 2012, 4:14 PM EDT
The Canucks took care of a little business today getting 2012 first-round pick Brendan Gaunce locked into his three-year entry-level deal.
Gaunce is a 6’2″ 205 pound centerman who had a breakout season with the Belleville Bulls of the OHL last season. He scored 28 goals and added 40 assists for the Bulls last season putting him on the map as a top prospect. The Canucks locked him up with the 26th overall pick in the draft.
Chances are most likely he’ll spend another year or two in Belleville before getting a longer look in Vancouver. Having guys like Henrik Sedin and Ryan Kesler at center help bottle things up a bit for younger guys, just ask Cody Hodgson.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)