Aug 13, 2012, 11:21 PM EST
Barring the far-fetched notion of acquiring Roberto Luongo, the Columbus Blue Jackets’ go-to goalie will have a lot to prove.
Depending upon who grabs the No. 1 job, that guy might even need to save his career.
If Sergei Bobrovsky grabs the starting gig as many expect, he’ll hope to match (or improve) upon his solid rookie season and forget about everything that came after.
Keeping Steve Mason around might just come down to how expensive a buyout might be, but if he manages to avoid an AHL demotion, he’ll aim to save his career.
(If nothing else, Mason should wear properly proportioned pads next season. Baby steps.)
It would be surprising if Allen York elbows his way into the picture, yet he managed an impressive .920 save percentage in the small sample size of 11 appearances last season.
There have been at least some rumors of a Jonathan Bernier trade – even after they grabbed Bobrovsky. For all the drooling scouting reports, Steve Bernier‘s brother has a way to go before he justifies the hype.
Interestingly enough, all four of these goalies are in the last year of their contracts. Whoever grabs the top job has plenty to gain in 2012-13, then.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 8
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 18
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 48
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)