Aug 13, 2012, 11:21 PM EDT
Barring the far-fetched notion of acquiring Roberto Luongo, the Columbus Blue Jackets’ go-to goalie will have a lot to prove.
Depending upon who grabs the No. 1 job, that guy might even need to save his career.
If Sergei Bobrovsky grabs the starting gig as many expect, he’ll hope to match (or improve) upon his solid rookie season and forget about everything that came after.
Keeping Steve Mason around might just come down to how expensive a buyout might be, but if he manages to avoid an AHL demotion, he’ll aim to save his career.
(If nothing else, Mason should wear properly proportioned pads next season. Baby steps.)
It would be surprising if Allen York elbows his way into the picture, yet he managed an impressive .920 save percentage in the small sample size of 11 appearances last season.
There have been at least some rumors of a Jonathan Bernier trade – even after they grabbed Bobrovsky. For all the drooling scouting reports, Steve Bernier‘s brother has a way to go before he justifies the hype.
Interestingly enough, all four of these goalies are in the last year of their contracts. Whoever grabs the top job has plenty to gain in 2012-13, then.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 11
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 13
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 24
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 27
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)