Aug 13, 2012, 11:21 PM EDT
Barring the far-fetched notion of acquiring Roberto Luongo, the Columbus Blue Jackets’ go-to goalie will have a lot to prove.
Depending upon who grabs the No. 1 job, that guy might even need to save his career.
If Sergei Bobrovsky grabs the starting gig as many expect, he’ll hope to match (or improve) upon his solid rookie season and forget about everything that came after.
Keeping Steve Mason around might just come down to how expensive a buyout might be, but if he manages to avoid an AHL demotion, he’ll aim to save his career.
(If nothing else, Mason should wear properly proportioned pads next season. Baby steps.)
It would be surprising if Allen York elbows his way into the picture, yet he managed an impressive .920 save percentage in the small sample size of 11 appearances last season.
There have been at least some rumors of a Jonathan Bernier trade – even after they grabbed Bobrovsky. For all the drooling scouting reports, Steve Bernier‘s brother has a way to go before he justifies the hype.
Interestingly enough, all four of these goalies are in the last year of their contracts. Whoever grabs the top job has plenty to gain in 2012-13, then.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 4
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (55)