Aug 13, 2012, 1:51 PM EDT
When next season starts (whenever that may be) it’ll be the first time since 2002-03 the Blue Jackets will do so without Rick Nash.
Can they do it successfully though? All isn’t quite as bleak as you’d think.
Columbus’ other top scorers last season were veterans Vinny Prospal, who had just five fewer points than Nash, Derick Brassard and R.J. Umberger. The latter two had just 41 and 40 points respectively but when you throw Dubinsky and Anisimov into the mix, their 36 and 34 points can at least, in theory, help make up for Nash’s departure.
When you add them to an interesting mix of players that includes former Senator Nick Foligno as well as potential future star Ryan Johansen and spark plug winger Cam Atkinson, there’s some hope there.
Atkinson was a big scorer at Boston College and did well in the AHL last season, meanwhile Johansen was coddled last season and could breakout if given the minutes to show what he’s got. Keeping him buried on the fourth or in the press box line doesn’t do him any favors.
These aren’t superstar players nor do they have the marquee credibility, but if coach Todd Richards can get them playing together as a team, there’s opportunity for growth. After all, it’s not as if the Central Division got better this offseason.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 12
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 31
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 105
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)