Aug 12, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
The Islanders’ captain might be defenseman Mark Streit, but he’s not the guy getting fans on Long Island out of their seats.
After two seasons, Travis Hamonic has turned into a physical force on the blue line for the Isles. The 2008 second-round pick made his debut with the Isles in the 2010-11 season after a junior career in Moose Jaw that saw him suit up for Team Canada in World Juniors.
Hamonic made his impact immediately piling up 103 penalty minutes in 62 games, but he wasn’t a full-fledged goon. In that time he added five goals and 21 assists. He followed that up last season by cutting down on the penalties and upping his responsibilities with 24 points and doing this with all sorts of injuries along the blue line.
While most folks will sneer at the plus-minus statistic (often with good reason) keep in mind he was a team best +6. By comparison, Streit was a -27 and Milan Jurcina managed to pull in a -39 in just 65 games. The Isles might want to up Hamonic’s average time-on-ice next season from the over 22 minutes per game he was seeing last year.
Hamonic’s stability is something much needed by the Islanders, especially when you’ve got other defensemen that don’t even want to join the team.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 11
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)