Aug 12, 2012, 10:39 PM EST
Edmonton Oilers’ first-rounders have been quick studies lately, but Oscar Klefbom is opting to take a more measured approach.
The 19th pick from the 2011 draft told Adam Kimelman that he’s going to target the 2013-14 season for his first big NHL bid.
Instead, Klefbom will finish out the last year of his deal with Farjestad of Sweden’s Elite League.
“It’s been a long discussion,” Klefbom said. “Edmonton wants me to come over and try but I don’t want to come over and feel like I’m not ready. I think Farjestad is a really good opportunity for me to be a really good player.”
The Oilers are brimming with young forwards, yet Klefbom joins newly acquired blueliner Justin Schultz as one of the few rising defensive prospects.
Former NHLer and current Oilers scouting director Mike Sillinger provided this rave review of Klefbom.
“Oscar is a big, strong, real good first-pass guy — a real good defender too,” Oilers director of player development Mike Sillinger told the team’s website. “The importance of having and developing good, young, solid defense for our team is crucial. … Oscar has a chance to be a big-time prospect with us.”
They’ll probably need to wait, though.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)