Aug 12, 2012, 10:39 PM EDT
Edmonton Oilers’ first-rounders have been quick studies lately, but Oscar Klefbom is opting to take a more measured approach.
The 19th pick from the 2011 draft told Adam Kimelman that he’s going to target the 2013-14 season for his first big NHL bid.
Instead, Klefbom will finish out the last year of his deal with Farjestad of Sweden’s Elite League.
“It’s been a long discussion,” Klefbom said. “Edmonton wants me to come over and try but I don’t want to come over and feel like I’m not ready. I think Farjestad is a really good opportunity for me to be a really good player.”
The Oilers are brimming with young forwards, yet Klefbom joins newly acquired blueliner Justin Schultz as one of the few rising defensive prospects.
Former NHLer and current Oilers scouting director Mike Sillinger provided this rave review of Klefbom.
“Oscar is a big, strong, real good first-pass guy — a real good defender too,” Oilers director of player development Mike Sillinger told the team’s website. “The importance of having and developing good, young, solid defense for our team is crucial. … Oscar has a chance to be a big-time prospect with us.”
They’ll probably need to wait, though.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (70)