Aug 12, 2012, 10:39 PM EDT
Edmonton Oilers’ first-rounders have been quick studies lately, but Oscar Klefbom is opting to take a more measured approach.
The 19th pick from the 2011 draft told Adam Kimelman that he’s going to target the 2013-14 season for his first big NHL bid.
Instead, Klefbom will finish out the last year of his deal with Farjestad of Sweden’s Elite League.
“It’s been a long discussion,” Klefbom said. “Edmonton wants me to come over and try but I don’t want to come over and feel like I’m not ready. I think Farjestad is a really good opportunity for me to be a really good player.”
The Oilers are brimming with young forwards, yet Klefbom joins newly acquired blueliner Justin Schultz as one of the few rising defensive prospects.
Former NHLer and current Oilers scouting director Mike Sillinger provided this rave review of Klefbom.
“Oscar is a big, strong, real good first-pass guy — a real good defender too,” Oilers director of player development Mike Sillinger told the team’s website. “The importance of having and developing good, young, solid defense for our team is crucial. … Oscar has a chance to be a big-time prospect with us.”
They’ll probably need to wait, though.
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 0
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 17
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 19
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)