Aug 12, 2012, 10:39 PM EDT
Edmonton Oilers’ first-rounders have been quick studies lately, but Oscar Klefbom is opting to take a more measured approach.
The 19th pick from the 2011 draft told Adam Kimelman that he’s going to target the 2013-14 season for his first big NHL bid.
Instead, Klefbom will finish out the last year of his deal with Farjestad of Sweden’s Elite League.
“It’s been a long discussion,” Klefbom said. “Edmonton wants me to come over and try but I don’t want to come over and feel like I’m not ready. I think Farjestad is a really good opportunity for me to be a really good player.”
The Oilers are brimming with young forwards, yet Klefbom joins newly acquired blueliner Justin Schultz as one of the few rising defensive prospects.
Former NHLer and current Oilers scouting director Mike Sillinger provided this rave review of Klefbom.
“Oscar is a big, strong, real good first-pass guy — a real good defender too,” Oilers director of player development Mike Sillinger told the team’s website. “The importance of having and developing good, young, solid defense for our team is crucial. … Oscar has a chance to be a big-time prospect with us.”
They’ll probably need to wait, though.
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 42
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 7
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 10
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 45
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 91
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Playoffs Tonight: We’re tied going into Boston 9
- Writer: NHL playoffs are ‘annoying’ 79
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL