Aug 12, 2012, 10:33 AM EDT
From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
34-37-11, 79 points. 14th in Eastern Conference, fifth in Atlantic Division.
First round, fourth overall — Griffin Reinhart (D – Edmonton – WHL)
It was another frustrating season for the Isles and their fans. While there were bright spots in the play of John Tavares, P.A. Parenteau, and Travis Hamonic there was frustration in goal as their three-headed monster all dealt with injuries. Rick DiPietro again couldn’t avoid problems while both Evgeni Nabokov and Al Montoya had their issues as well.
Health, a lack of depth, poor defense, and being in a brutal division conspired to bury the Isles at the bottom of the Eastern Conference and Atlantic Division.
The offseason has been typically dramatic as well for the Isles. They acquired Lubomir Visnovsky from Anaheim at the NHL Draft but now he filed a grievance and doesn’t want to go to Long Island. Perhaps GM Garth Snow should’ve offered Columbus more than their entire draft for the second overall pick to really sweeten the pot.
While they lost Parenteau to Colorado via free agency, they’re taking a chance on Boyes unlocking old potential playing with Tavares. Matt Carkner should add enough spice to their rivalry with the Rangers to cause a fuss.
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of the Islanders’ 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 40
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 17
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 15
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 36
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 96
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead