Aug 12, 2012, 10:33 AM EDT
From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
34-37-11, 79 points. 14th in Eastern Conference, fifth in Atlantic Division.
First round, fourth overall — Griffin Reinhart (D – Edmonton – WHL)
It was another frustrating season for the Isles and their fans. While there were bright spots in the play of John Tavares, P.A. Parenteau, and Travis Hamonic there was frustration in goal as their three-headed monster all dealt with injuries. Rick DiPietro again couldn’t avoid problems while both Evgeni Nabokov and Al Montoya had their issues as well.
Health, a lack of depth, poor defense, and being in a brutal division conspired to bury the Isles at the bottom of the Eastern Conference and Atlantic Division.
The offseason has been typically dramatic as well for the Isles. They acquired Lubomir Visnovsky from Anaheim at the NHL Draft but now he filed a grievance and doesn’t want to go to Long Island. Perhaps GM Garth Snow should’ve offered Columbus more than their entire draft for the second overall pick to really sweeten the pot.
While they lost Parenteau to Colorado via free agency, they’re taking a chance on Boyes unlocking old potential playing with Tavares. Matt Carkner should add enough spice to their rivalry with the Rangers to cause a fuss.
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of the Islanders’ 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)