Aug 12, 2012, 10:33 AM EST
From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
34-37-11, 79 points. 14th in Eastern Conference, fifth in Atlantic Division.
First round, fourth overall — Griffin Reinhart (D – Edmonton – WHL)
It was another frustrating season for the Isles and their fans. While there were bright spots in the play of John Tavares, P.A. Parenteau, and Travis Hamonic there was frustration in goal as their three-headed monster all dealt with injuries. Rick DiPietro again couldn’t avoid problems while both Evgeni Nabokov and Al Montoya had their issues as well.
Health, a lack of depth, poor defense, and being in a brutal division conspired to bury the Isles at the bottom of the Eastern Conference and Atlantic Division.
The offseason has been typically dramatic as well for the Isles. They acquired Lubomir Visnovsky from Anaheim at the NHL Draft but now he filed a grievance and doesn’t want to go to Long Island. Perhaps GM Garth Snow should’ve offered Columbus more than their entire draft for the second overall pick to really sweeten the pot.
While they lost Parenteau to Colorado via free agency, they’re taking a chance on Boyes unlocking old potential playing with Tavares. Matt Carkner should add enough spice to their rivalry with the Rangers to cause a fuss.
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of the Islanders’ 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)