Aug 12, 2012, 10:33 AM EDT
From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
34-37-11, 79 points. 14th in Eastern Conference, fifth in Atlantic Division.
First round, fourth overall — Griffin Reinhart (D – Edmonton – WHL)
It was another frustrating season for the Isles and their fans. While there were bright spots in the play of John Tavares, P.A. Parenteau, and Travis Hamonic there was frustration in goal as their three-headed monster all dealt with injuries. Rick DiPietro again couldn’t avoid problems while both Evgeni Nabokov and Al Montoya had their issues as well.
Health, a lack of depth, poor defense, and being in a brutal division conspired to bury the Isles at the bottom of the Eastern Conference and Atlantic Division.
The offseason has been typically dramatic as well for the Isles. They acquired Lubomir Visnovsky from Anaheim at the NHL Draft but now he filed a grievance and doesn’t want to go to Long Island. Perhaps GM Garth Snow should’ve offered Columbus more than their entire draft for the second overall pick to really sweeten the pot.
While they lost Parenteau to Colorado via free agency, they’re taking a chance on Boyes unlocking old potential playing with Tavares. Matt Carkner should add enough spice to their rivalry with the Rangers to cause a fuss.
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of the Islanders’ 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)