Aug 12, 2012, 12:14 PM EDT
The Flyers’ bad luck with injuries continues to roll along.
According a report from Swedish newspaper Helsinborgs Dagblad, defenseman Andreas Lilja will miss the next four months after having hip surgery. Matias Strozyk translates the story with these quotes via Twitter.
“I’ve had problems for a couple of years but usually the pain eased over summer,” Lilja said. “Not this year, so I needed surgery.”
“Now I have a new hip and the difference will be big when I return. Not least mentally, since I can now move without pain.”
Lilja tells the Swedish paper that the procedure he had done could extend his career by five years. Meanwhile, CSNPhilly’s Tim Panaccio could not reach Flyers GM Paul Holmgren for comment on the injury, but a source with the team confirmed to him Lilja’s status. With how labor talks are going, Lilja might not miss any games.
The Flyers will now look to start the season with Kimmo Timonen, Braydon Coburn, Nick Grossmann, Erik Gustafsson, Luke Schenn, Marc-Andre Bourdon, and Bruno Gervais on their back line. They’d better hope Ilya Bryzgalov has a big bounce-back season.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)