Aug 12, 2012, 12:14 PM EDT
The Flyers’ bad luck with injuries continues to roll along.
According a report from Swedish newspaper Helsinborgs Dagblad, defenseman Andreas Lilja will miss the next four months after having hip surgery. Matias Strozyk translates the story with these quotes via Twitter.
“I’ve had problems for a couple of years but usually the pain eased over summer,” Lilja said. “Not this year, so I needed surgery.”
“Now I have a new hip and the difference will be big when I return. Not least mentally, since I can now move without pain.”
Lilja tells the Swedish paper that the procedure he had done could extend his career by five years. Meanwhile, CSNPhilly’s Tim Panaccio could not reach Flyers GM Paul Holmgren for comment on the injury, but a source with the team confirmed to him Lilja’s status. With how labor talks are going, Lilja might not miss any games.
The Flyers will now look to start the season with Kimmo Timonen, Braydon Coburn, Nick Grossmann, Erik Gustafsson, Luke Schenn, Marc-Andre Bourdon, and Bruno Gervais on their back line. They’d better hope Ilya Bryzgalov has a big bounce-back season.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)