Aug 12, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, we move along with the New York Islanders.
For the fifth season in a row (and six of the last seven), the Islanders fell far from a postseason berth. They also remained last in the Atlantic Division for a fifth consecutive year.
The Isles were pesky here and there last season, but again, it was mostly “business as usual.”
John Tavares topped all Isles scorers with 81 points while Matt Moulson quietly continues to be one of the league’s best-kept-secret snipers, yet the Isles let playmaker P.A. Parenteau walk in free agency.
If Lubo gets his way, the Islanders’ biggest move was adding Brad Boyes for the bargain price of $1 million.
Once again, the Islanders hope to improve from within. We’ll study their chances of doing so today at PHT.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)