Aug 12, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, we move along with the New York Islanders.
For the fifth season in a row (and six of the last seven), the Islanders fell far from a postseason berth. They also remained last in the Atlantic Division for a fifth consecutive year.
The Isles were pesky here and there last season, but again, it was mostly “business as usual.”
John Tavares topped all Isles scorers with 81 points while Matt Moulson quietly continues to be one of the league’s best-kept-secret snipers, yet the Isles let playmaker P.A. Parenteau walk in free agency.
If Lubo gets his way, the Islanders’ biggest move was adding Brad Boyes for the bargain price of $1 million.
Once again, the Islanders hope to improve from within. We’ll study their chances of doing so today at PHT.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)