Aug 12, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, we move along with the New York Islanders.
For the fifth season in a row (and six of the last seven), the Islanders fell far from a postseason berth. They also remained last in the Atlantic Division for a fifth consecutive year.
The Isles were pesky here and there last season, but again, it was mostly “business as usual.”
John Tavares topped all Isles scorers with 81 points while Matt Moulson quietly continues to be one of the league’s best-kept-secret snipers, yet the Isles let playmaker P.A. Parenteau walk in free agency.
If Lubo gets his way, the Islanders’ biggest move was adding Brad Boyes for the bargain price of $1 million.
Once again, the Islanders hope to improve from within. We’ll study their chances of doing so today at PHT.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 23
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)