If nothing else, the Isles have John Tavares

Aug 12, 2012, 11:24 AM EST

John Tavares AP

Things haven’t been all that great for the New York Islanders the past five years. They’ve missed the playoffs each year, they’ve finished last in their division in all five years, and they even managed to be the worst team in the league in 2008-09.

Out of that mess came a superstar in John Tavares. The first overall pick in the 2009 draft has become the superstar the Isles hoped he would.

In each of his first three seasons, Tavares has improved each year. His 54 points in his rookie season with 24 goals made for a nice start, but following that up with 67 points (29 goals) two seasons ago and then an 81 point (31 goals) season this past year has shown GM Garth Snow that he needs to surround him with better players. With Tavares locked in for the next six years, the Isles don’t have to worry about him bolting town anytime soon.

As it is, scoring goals isn’t really the Isles’ problem with Tavares around. With guys like Matt Moulson, Kyle Okposo, and Michael Grabner around, finding the back of the net is a strength. Above all that, however, it’s Tavares’ burgeoning superstar status that shines above them all.

In any other situation you’d say, “As Tavares goes, so go the Islanders.” With the state the team is in (like with a newly acquired defensemen trying to find a way out before getting there), that’s just not the case.

1. polegojim - Aug 12, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Well said Joe… nothing else but Tavares… soon to heard as suffering from the ‘Rick Nash’ syndrome.

• jl9830 - Aug 12, 2012 at 11:26 PM

There’s a lot more than Tavares. Don’t comment on a team you know nothing about.

• polegojim - Aug 14, 2012 at 12:26 AM

I know they’ve finished last or almost last in the entire league for many years in a row.
        I know even Tavares ended last year with -6.
        I know they don’t award Stanley Cups for Power Play %, you actually must WIN.
        I know only FOUR players on the entire roster ended with +1, and only ONE was more than +1
        I know you don’t need me to tell you just how bad the Islanders have been

I know that there will be ‘a lot more’ than Tavares when the Isle’s PROVE there is.
        I know that right now, they have not.

I know you hope they do better… and I respect you for that.

2. happybirthdaythickloins - Aug 12, 2012 at 5:35 PM

get a life polesmoknjim

3. 19inarow - Aug 12, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Yet another self-loathing Isles fan. There’s plenty else; you just have to stop being a lazy lemming to notice it. Sheesh. And no, I’m not going to do the work for you. Been there, done that.

• polegojim - Aug 12, 2012 at 9:44 PM

19 – OK, I’ll bite…

Have you looked at their roster and last years performance?

Did you actually watch them last season?

Tell me, what did they do to so drastically improve?

• jl9830 - Aug 12, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Matt Moulson is 10th in the NHL in goals the last three season. The Islanders had the 7th ranked Power Play last season, and are adding Visnovsky and improved young forwards to that PP.

4. cameltoews - Aug 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I’m not an islander fan but do live on long island. They do have a lot of young talent and if coached and brought up the right way they aren’t far off from the 7th or 8th spot in the east

5. bcisleman - Aug 13, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Realistically, the Isles are 1-3 years away from contention. The rebuild has taken longer because Milbury left Snow with literally NOTHING to work with.

6. theboysofdallas - Aug 13, 2012 at 9:28 AM

polegojim
    U cudnt even name 10 players on the isles so shut up

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches