Aug 12, 2012, 11:24 AM EDT
Things haven’t been all that great for the New York Islanders the past five years. They’ve missed the playoffs each year, they’ve finished last in their division in all five years, and they even managed to be the worst team in the league in 2008-09.
Out of that mess came a superstar in John Tavares. The first overall pick in the 2009 draft has become the superstar the Isles hoped he would.
In each of his first three seasons, Tavares has improved each year. His 54 points in his rookie season with 24 goals made for a nice start, but following that up with 67 points (29 goals) two seasons ago and then an 81 point (31 goals) season this past year has shown GM Garth Snow that he needs to surround him with better players. With Tavares locked in for the next six years, the Isles don’t have to worry about him bolting town anytime soon.
As it is, scoring goals isn’t really the Isles’ problem with Tavares around. With guys like Matt Moulson, Kyle Okposo, and Michael Grabner around, finding the back of the net is a strength. Above all that, however, it’s Tavares’ burgeoning superstar status that shines above them all.
In any other situation you’d say, “As Tavares goes, so go the Islanders.” With the state the team is in (like with a newly acquired defensemen trying to find a way out before getting there), that’s just not the case.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)