Aug 12, 2012, 7:13 PM EDT
As much as video games have advanced, some believe it is too easy to beat up on digital GMs in various modes.
If EA Sports’ promises about “GM Brain” come to fruition, we’ll get closer to a time when it might be tougher to swindle a video game opponent than some believe it would be to fool real-life execs.*
First things first, general managers will think more long-term.
Now, thanks to the accuracy of the new Player Progression model, the CPU GM knows exactly what roster it has today, and is able to ‘grow its players instantly to predict what its roster will be like in the future. The ability to predict that it will be a Cup Contender in X years based on the players it has now, allows a CPU GM to understand what assets are expendable, and which ones must be kept at all costs. We could never do that before now.
EA reveals that players will be more conscious of their potential when signing contracts.
No longer can you sign the ‘up and coming prospect’ to an 8 year deal at 650K a year, and lock him in to a long term contract as he becomes the next Claude Giroux or Steven Stamkos. Now, players understand (via their growth model) that they may be an ‘AHL first liner NOW and will accept that type of money for the current year, but in three years, they’ll be good enough to be a first liner in the NHL, where they’ll expect bigger bucks.
(It might be worth mentioning that the Philadelphia Flyers actually signed Giroux before he reached his ceiling; they’re getting him at $3.75 million per year for two more seasons.)
This story includes details about tweaks to the trade system and how scouting is done.
It all sounds like it will make armchair GMs’ jobs more realistic than ever.
* – Go ahead, make a Scott Howson joke.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)