Aug 11, 2012, 5:20 PM EST
It’s reasonable to gravitate toward all the young talent in Edmonton – three consecutive No. 1 overall picks will do that – but veteran players matter, too.
One of the surprising returnees is star-crossed winger Ales Hemsky, a talented forward who transforms to a tease because he’s so rarely on the ice.
Here’s the amount of games Hemsky played in recent seasons:
2009-10: 22 games played
2010-11: 47 games played
2011-12: 69 games played
The difference between last season and previous ones is that in most campaigns, his near point-per-game average made his frequent absences that much more disturbing.
Last season wasn’t the same, though, as he only scored 10 goals and 36 points in 69 contests.
Many believed that would sound the death knell for his time with the Oil, yet a notably loyal front office kept him around despite all the health headaches.
While another year of progress for the team’s prospect-pros and a hopeful boost in defense draw the greatest focus, getting more out of veterans such as Hemsky and Shawn Horcoff would be ideal.
The Czech-born playmaker actually needs to be on the ice to make that happen, though.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)