Aug 11, 2012, 12:50 PM EDT
By taking Nail Yakupov first overall in the 2012 NHL Draft, the Edmonton Oilers added another high-scoring forward to their stable of incredible youth. With Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and Jordan Eberle the Oilers have a nice array of stars.
Yakupov heads to the NHL with a lot of hope and David Staples of the Edmonton Journal says the Russian reminds him of the great players of the Soviet era.
But Yakupov also shares the puck exceedingly well. The game doesn’t slow down when the puck comes to him. He doesn’t hold the puck forever, or try to deke out the entire opposing team. Instead, he quickly snaps off a fierce shot, or fires a hard pass, or he rapidly skates the puck to open ice, most often straight at the opposing net.
With his style of play and short, powerful and stocky build, his play isn’t just reminiscent of [Sergei] Makarov and [Vladimir] Krutov, he also looks like them.
If Yakupov can emulate great Russians of the past like them, the Oilers have themselves another franchise player, not to mention one that adds a bit of flavor to the roster. If you recall, Makarov won the Calder Trophy in 1990 (albeit as a 32 year-old).
Considering he’ll be either riding on the wing with Nugent-Hopkins or Sam Gagner, he’ll have the playmakers needed to fill the net.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)