Montador on labor talks: “It’s a little poker, it’s a little chess, it’s a little schoolyard battlefield.”
Aug 11, 2012, 1:39 PM EDT
While fans may be fretting over NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman’s proclamation that they will lock the players out on September 15 if there’s no new CBA, some players are keeping their cool.
“To compare it to hockey, you have two teams and you’re doing the best you can and you want the best results,” Montador told the Tribune on Friday of the negotiations. “It’s different in that we’re working together, but they have their point of view and we have ours. It’s a little poker, it’s a little chess, it’s a little schoolyard battlefield.”
I always was told love is a battlefield.
The NHLPA will be bringing their proposal to the owners on Tuesday, so the real gamesmanship will get underway then. We’ll also get a better idea whether or not we’re actually headed to a delayed start of the season. If the NHLPA proposal is as out of whack as the owners’ was, it might take a while to sort things out.
- Under Pressure: Turris, MacArthur & Ryan 1
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 7
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47