Montador on labor talks: “It’s a little poker, it’s a little chess, it’s a little schoolyard battlefield.”
Aug 11, 2012, 1:39 PM EDT
While fans may be fretting over NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman’s proclamation that they will lock the players out on September 15 if there’s no new CBA, some players are keeping their cool.
“To compare it to hockey, you have two teams and you’re doing the best you can and you want the best results,” Montador told the Tribune on Friday of the negotiations. “It’s different in that we’re working together, but they have their point of view and we have ours. It’s a little poker, it’s a little chess, it’s a little schoolyard battlefield.”
I always was told love is a battlefield.
The NHLPA will be bringing their proposal to the owners on Tuesday, so the real gamesmanship will get underway then. We’ll also get a better idea whether or not we’re actually headed to a delayed start of the season. If the NHLPA proposal is as out of whack as the owners’ was, it might take a while to sort things out.
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 5
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)