Montador on labor talks: “It’s a little poker, it’s a little chess, it’s a little schoolyard battlefield.”
Aug 11, 2012, 1:39 PM EDT
While fans may be fretting over NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman’s proclamation that they will lock the players out on September 15 if there’s no new CBA, some players are keeping their cool.
“To compare it to hockey, you have two teams and you’re doing the best you can and you want the best results,” Montador told the Tribune on Friday of the negotiations. “It’s different in that we’re working together, but they have their point of view and we have ours. It’s a little poker, it’s a little chess, it’s a little schoolyard battlefield.”
I always was told love is a battlefield.
The NHLPA will be bringing their proposal to the owners on Tuesday, so the real gamesmanship will get underway then. We’ll also get a better idea whether or not we’re actually headed to a delayed start of the season. If the NHLPA proposal is as out of whack as the owners’ was, it might take a while to sort things out.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 9
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 20
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 91
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (93)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)