Aug 11, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, that squad is the Edmonton Oilers.
The Oilers on-ice performance over the last few years has been nothing short of abysmal. They have won between 25 and 32 games in each of their last three seasons and have consequently failed to come even close to making the playoffs.
However, beneath that pitiful record is a team brimming with promise.
Jordan Eberle, Taylor Hall, and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins have emerged as three of the best young forwards in the league. They already had an impressive core of youngsters to compliment that trio, but this summer they got even more top-tier prospects.
For the third straight year, the Edmonton Oilers were given the first overall pick and this time they took Nail Yakupov. On top of that, free agent prospect Justin Schultz decided to join Edmonton, giving them some much needed help on the blueline.
The Edmonton Oilers rebuild appears to be on the cusp of entering its next phase, but can all their young talent live up to the hype and even if they can, will it be enough to transform the Oilers into a legitimate contender for a playoff spot?
Stay tuned for our extended coverage.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)