Aug 11, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, that squad is the Edmonton Oilers.
The Oilers on-ice performance over the last few years has been nothing short of abysmal. They have won between 25 and 32 games in each of their last three seasons and have consequently failed to come even close to making the playoffs.
However, beneath that pitiful record is a team brimming with promise.
Jordan Eberle, Taylor Hall, and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins have emerged as three of the best young forwards in the league. They already had an impressive core of youngsters to compliment that trio, but this summer they got even more top-tier prospects.
For the third straight year, the Edmonton Oilers were given the first overall pick and this time they took Nail Yakupov. On top of that, free agent prospect Justin Schultz decided to join Edmonton, giving them some much needed help on the blueline.
The Edmonton Oilers rebuild appears to be on the cusp of entering its next phase, but can all their young talent live up to the hype and even if they can, will it be enough to transform the Oilers into a legitimate contender for a playoff spot?
Stay tuned for our extended coverage.
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 2
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 37
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 36
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 25
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 79
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 112
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (112)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1