Aug 11, 2012, 3:36 PM EDT
The Oilers’ youth movement and reliance on first-round picks to carry them forward is one that’s taking its time getting going. One of the biggest issues they’ve had in being a more consistent team is stopping opponents from scoring.
Nikolai Khabibulin hasn’t exactly been the stopper the team thought he’d be when they signed him as a free agent, they feel they’ve got a bright future with 2004 first-round pick Devan Dubnyk. Dubnyk has split time with Khabibulin the past two seasons and has put up relatively average numbers.
Two seasons ago, Dubnyk had a .916 save percentage and a 2.71 goals against average on the worst team in the NHL. Last season he saw his save percentage drop by .002 but his goals against average improved just slightly while playing in 12 more games. With numbers like that, the Oilers hope he’s just off to a slow start.
While his rookie season was bad, he’s gotten slightly better since then, enough for the Oilers to give him a stunning two-year extension worth $7 million. Hey, at least his numbers are better than that of Columbus goalie Steve Mason.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)