Aug 11, 2012, 3:36 PM EDT
The Oilers’ youth movement and reliance on first-round picks to carry them forward is one that’s taking its time getting going. One of the biggest issues they’ve had in being a more consistent team is stopping opponents from scoring.
Nikolai Khabibulin hasn’t exactly been the stopper the team thought he’d be when they signed him as a free agent, they feel they’ve got a bright future with 2004 first-round pick Devan Dubnyk. Dubnyk has split time with Khabibulin the past two seasons and has put up relatively average numbers.
Two seasons ago, Dubnyk had a .916 save percentage and a 2.71 goals against average on the worst team in the NHL. Last season he saw his save percentage drop by .002 but his goals against average improved just slightly while playing in 12 more games. With numbers like that, the Oilers hope he’s just off to a slow start.
While his rookie season was bad, he’s gotten slightly better since then, enough for the Oilers to give him a stunning two-year extension worth $7 million. Hey, at least his numbers are better than that of Columbus goalie Steve Mason.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 10
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)