Aug 11, 2012, 9:31 PM EST
The Oilers of all teams should know that things rarely shake out ideally in the NHL, which is one of several reasons why the franchise would be wise to keep an eye on aging veteran Nikolai Khabibulin.
Here are some other reasons.
1. “Money” goalie
“The Bulin Wall” should not be taken lightly in a contract year.
He put up pretty good numbers during his time with the Tampa Bay Lightning, but the team won its surprising Stanley Cup when Khabibulin was in a contract year.*
The Chicago Blackhawks signed and then essentially gave up on him only to see Khabibulin usurp fellow conveniently hot netminder Cristobal Huet in his last contract year.
Much like Huet, Dubnyk’s track record is slim, so Khabibulin could snatch the job.
2. They already put up with his worst
Khabibulin sported a .890 save percentage in 2010-11 and dealt with embarrassing off-the-ice issues, but the Oilers stood by him anyway. Why not benefit from that patience, then?
3. Flashes of brilliance
Sure, he’s getting old and probably isn’t Edmonton’s first choice, but don’t be shocked if Khabibulin eventually ends up being the top guy for the Oilers next season.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 2
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 2
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 14
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 46
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)