Aug 11, 2012, 9:31 PM EDT
The Oilers of all teams should know that things rarely shake out ideally in the NHL, which is one of several reasons why the franchise would be wise to keep an eye on aging veteran Nikolai Khabibulin.
Here are some other reasons.
1. “Money” goalie
“The Bulin Wall” should not be taken lightly in a contract year.
He put up pretty good numbers during his time with the Tampa Bay Lightning, but the team won its surprising Stanley Cup when Khabibulin was in a contract year.*
The Chicago Blackhawks signed and then essentially gave up on him only to see Khabibulin usurp fellow conveniently hot netminder Cristobal Huet in his last contract year.
Much like Huet, Dubnyk’s track record is slim, so Khabibulin could snatch the job.
2. They already put up with his worst
Khabibulin sported a .890 save percentage in 2010-11 and dealt with embarrassing off-the-ice issues, but the Oilers stood by him anyway. Why not benefit from that patience, then?
3. Flashes of brilliance
Sure, he’s getting old and probably isn’t Edmonton’s first choice, but don’t be shocked if Khabibulin eventually ends up being the top guy for the Oilers next season.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 12
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 12
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 39
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic