Aug 11, 2012, 8:10 PM EDT
As unlikely as it might seem, Sean Leahy passes along word that Dominik Hasek hit the ice this week to push his NHL comeback attempt into high gear.
Leahy reiterates Hasek’s aim: to attain a multi-year contract in the NHL. In fact, Hasek’s sights are so focused on returning that he’s going “NHL or bust.”
Even after accounting for Hasek’s name recognition and reputation for fitness, it’s tough to imagine him getting everything he wants. Leahy spells out what the bottom line might be:
What’s the reality? It’s likely that an NHL team invites Hasek to training camp to help push its current crease inhabitants (and get a nice PR bump, as well) and maybe, just maybe, with an impressive showing he could latch on with a team on a one-year deal, given the right situation. He played 46 games with Spartak Moscow of the KHL last season, and knowing how well he keeps himself in shape, is it that crazy to believe he could find himself on an NHL team with shallow goaltending depth next season? Maybe not.
Another possibility? Perhaps Hasek should go the Brian Elliott route and accept a two-way contract for the chance to compete for a roster spot.
(H/T to Rotoworld)
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 4
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 35
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)