Aug 11, 2012, 8:10 PM EDT
As unlikely as it might seem, Sean Leahy passes along word that Dominik Hasek hit the ice this week to push his NHL comeback attempt into high gear.
Leahy reiterates Hasek’s aim: to attain a multi-year contract in the NHL. In fact, Hasek’s sights are so focused on returning that he’s going “NHL or bust.”
Even after accounting for Hasek’s name recognition and reputation for fitness, it’s tough to imagine him getting everything he wants. Leahy spells out what the bottom line might be:
What’s the reality? It’s likely that an NHL team invites Hasek to training camp to help push its current crease inhabitants (and get a nice PR bump, as well) and maybe, just maybe, with an impressive showing he could latch on with a team on a one-year deal, given the right situation. He played 46 games with Spartak Moscow of the KHL last season, and knowing how well he keeps himself in shape, is it that crazy to believe he could find himself on an NHL team with shallow goaltending depth next season? Maybe not.
Another possibility? Perhaps Hasek should go the Brian Elliott route and accept a two-way contract for the chance to compete for a roster spot.
(H/T to Rotoworld)
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)