Aug 11, 2012, 8:10 PM EDT
As unlikely as it might seem, Sean Leahy passes along word that Dominik Hasek hit the ice this week to push his NHL comeback attempt into high gear.
Leahy reiterates Hasek’s aim: to attain a multi-year contract in the NHL. In fact, Hasek’s sights are so focused on returning that he’s going “NHL or bust.”
Even after accounting for Hasek’s name recognition and reputation for fitness, it’s tough to imagine him getting everything he wants. Leahy spells out what the bottom line might be:
What’s the reality? It’s likely that an NHL team invites Hasek to training camp to help push its current crease inhabitants (and get a nice PR bump, as well) and maybe, just maybe, with an impressive showing he could latch on with a team on a one-year deal, given the right situation. He played 46 games with Spartak Moscow of the KHL last season, and knowing how well he keeps himself in shape, is it that crazy to believe he could find himself on an NHL team with shallow goaltending depth next season? Maybe not.
Another possibility? Perhaps Hasek should go the Brian Elliott route and accept a two-way contract for the chance to compete for a roster spot.
(H/T to Rotoworld)
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 33
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 51
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 37
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 74
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 34
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 45
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)