Aug 11, 2012, 8:10 PM EDT
As unlikely as it might seem, Sean Leahy passes along word that Dominik Hasek hit the ice this week to push his NHL comeback attempt into high gear.
Leahy reiterates Hasek’s aim: to attain a multi-year contract in the NHL. In fact, Hasek’s sights are so focused on returning that he’s going “NHL or bust.”
Even after accounting for Hasek’s name recognition and reputation for fitness, it’s tough to imagine him getting everything he wants. Leahy spells out what the bottom line might be:
What’s the reality? It’s likely that an NHL team invites Hasek to training camp to help push its current crease inhabitants (and get a nice PR bump, as well) and maybe, just maybe, with an impressive showing he could latch on with a team on a one-year deal, given the right situation. He played 46 games with Spartak Moscow of the KHL last season, and knowing how well he keeps himself in shape, is it that crazy to believe he could find himself on an NHL team with shallow goaltending depth next season? Maybe not.
Another possibility? Perhaps Hasek should go the Brian Elliott route and accept a two-way contract for the chance to compete for a roster spot.
(H/T to Rotoworld)
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)