Aug 11, 2012, 8:10 PM EDT
As unlikely as it might seem, Sean Leahy passes along word that Dominik Hasek hit the ice this week to push his NHL comeback attempt into high gear.
Leahy reiterates Hasek’s aim: to attain a multi-year contract in the NHL. In fact, Hasek’s sights are so focused on returning that he’s going “NHL or bust.”
Even after accounting for Hasek’s name recognition and reputation for fitness, it’s tough to imagine him getting everything he wants. Leahy spells out what the bottom line might be:
What’s the reality? It’s likely that an NHL team invites Hasek to training camp to help push its current crease inhabitants (and get a nice PR bump, as well) and maybe, just maybe, with an impressive showing he could latch on with a team on a one-year deal, given the right situation. He played 46 games with Spartak Moscow of the KHL last season, and knowing how well he keeps himself in shape, is it that crazy to believe he could find himself on an NHL team with shallow goaltending depth next season? Maybe not.
Another possibility? Perhaps Hasek should go the Brian Elliott route and accept a two-way contract for the chance to compete for a roster spot.
(H/T to Rotoworld)
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 0
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 4
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)