Aug 10, 2012, 5:00 PM EST
According to Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland, it’s Tomas Holmstrom‘s call on whether he’ll return for his 16th NHL campaign.
“I haven’t talked to Tomas much,” Holland told MLive.com. “We had talked about him taking all of June and July to see what he wants to do. I talked to him briefly in July. He’s going to take the summer, obviously.
“It takes a lot of determination for him to play. Homer is taking all the time.”
Speaking of determination, Holland seems determined not to rush the process and is allowing the 39-year-old to contemplate for however long he needs.
That’s probably because there’s much to contemplate. Detroit added three forwards to the mix this offseason — Jordin Tootoo, Mikael Samuelsson, Damien Brunner — and figures to have former University of Maine standout Gustav Nyquist in a full-time capacity next season.
“If he decides to play,” Holland explained, “we have to have a discussion between Homer and I and probably Mike Babcock to see where he fits in.”
While the influx of new players and the retirement of friend and fellow Swede Nicklas Lidstrom might push Holmstrom to walk away, there’s some thought he’d like to go out in a better fashion than last season. Holmstrom posted his lowest point total since 1997-98 and went 28 straight games without scoring a goal.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 36
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)