Aug 10, 2012, 11:03 PM EST
When Toronto traded for Phil Kessel, they did so to provide themselves with the kind of first-line caliber scorer they were sorely lacking. You could argue that the price was too high, but at least Kessel has largely lived up to his end of the bargain.
In 2011-12, Joffrey Lupul developed some on-ice chemistry with Kessel and the two emerged as one of the league’s top combinations. However, the Leafs still lack a true first-line center to play between them.
Their was some optimism that Tim Connolly might be able to fill that role when he inked a two-year, $9.5 million contract last summer, but he got injured early on and never got his season back on track. Instead, Tyler Bozak often ended up playing with Lupul and Kessel for lack of a better option.
Now the Leafs are talking about turning freshly acquired winger James van Riemsdyk into a center. If he can adapt to that role then the Leafs would have a very appealing top line, but van Riemsdyk’s time as a pivot might not even last through training camp.
On the plus side, Kessel and Lupul both maintained a roughly point-per-game pace last season despite the exist of this problem, so maybe this isn’t such a dire need for Toronto from an offensive prospective. Still, it is one of their bigger question marks going into the 2012-13 campaign.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 10
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)