Aug 10, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, that squad is the Toronto Maple Leafs.
For a good portion of the 2011-12 campaign, it looked like the Toronto Maple Leafs would be a serious contender for a playoff spot. However, a late-season collapse resulted in the firing of head coach Ron Wilson and sent Toronto all the way down to 13th place in the Eastern Conference.
By far their biggest move over the summer was the trade of Luke Schenn to the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for James van Riemsdyk. There’s been some talk that van Riemsdyk might shift to center and serve on a line with Phil Kessel and Joffrey Lupul.
The biggest question surrounding Toronto right now is their goaltending. As things stand, the Leafs are poised to go into the season with youngsters James Reimer and Ben Scrivens as their netminding duo. Both have promise, but Leafs GM Brian Burke might still attempt to hedge his bets by signing a veteran backup or even acquire starter Roberto Luongo.
The Leafs haven’t made the playoffs since the lockout. Is this the year that changes?
Stay tuned for our extended coverage.
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 0
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 8
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 10
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 8
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 10
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 10
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 21
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)