Aug 9, 2012, 11:26 AM EDT
Kudos to the fine folks at NHL.com for their innovative look at the 24th anniversary of the Wayne Gretzky-to-Los Angeles trade — 24 of the Great One’s most unbreakable records.
Here’s a quick video rundown remembering Aug. 9, 1988 and beyond:
“I promised Mess I wouldn’t do this”
Gretzky’s tearful farewell presser…
Pocklington: “I had all kinds of death threats”
The Oilers owner quickly became the biggest villain in Edmonton (perhaps Canada).
Gretzky breaks Gordie Howe’s points record…in Edmonton:
One of the two greatest moments No. 99 had in a Kings uniform.
Gretzky’s Game 7 hat trick vs. Toronto in 1993:
I’d argue this would be the other one.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)