Aug 9, 2012, 11:26 AM EST
Kudos to the fine folks at NHL.com for their innovative look at the 24th anniversary of the Wayne Gretzky-to-Los Angeles trade — 24 of the Great One’s most unbreakable records.
Here’s a quick video rundown remembering Aug. 9, 1988 and beyond:
“I promised Mess I wouldn’t do this”
Gretzky’s tearful farewell presser…
Pocklington: “I had all kinds of death threats”
The Oilers owner quickly became the biggest villain in Edmonton (perhaps Canada).
Gretzky breaks Gordie Howe’s points record…in Edmonton:
One of the two greatest moments No. 99 had in a Kings uniform.
Gretzky’s Game 7 hat trick vs. Toronto in 1993:
I’d argue this would be the other one.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 148
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 117
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (148)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (117)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)