Aug 9, 2012, 11:26 AM EDT
Kudos to the fine folks at NHL.com for their innovative look at the 24th anniversary of the Wayne Gretzky-to-Los Angeles trade — 24 of the Great One’s most unbreakable records.
Here’s a quick video rundown remembering Aug. 9, 1988 and beyond:
“I promised Mess I wouldn’t do this”
Gretzky’s tearful farewell presser…
Pocklington: “I had all kinds of death threats”
The Oilers owner quickly became the biggest villain in Edmonton (perhaps Canada).
Gretzky breaks Gordie Howe’s points record…in Edmonton:
One of the two greatest moments No. 99 had in a Kings uniform.
Gretzky’s Game 7 hat trick vs. Toronto in 1993:
I’d argue this would be the other one.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)