Aug 9, 2012, 11:26 AM EDT
Kudos to the fine folks at NHL.com for their innovative look at the 24th anniversary of the Wayne Gretzky-to-Los Angeles trade — 24 of the Great One’s most unbreakable records.
Here’s a quick video rundown remembering Aug. 9, 1988 and beyond:
“I promised Mess I wouldn’t do this”
Gretzky’s tearful farewell presser…
Pocklington: “I had all kinds of death threats”
The Oilers owner quickly became the biggest villain in Edmonton (perhaps Canada).
Gretzky breaks Gordie Howe’s points record…in Edmonton:
One of the two greatest moments No. 99 had in a Kings uniform.
Gretzky’s Game 7 hat trick vs. Toronto in 1993:
I’d argue this would be the other one.
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 0
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 0
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 28
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 56
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 21
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 12
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 4
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 26
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)
- Cooke to play 1,000th game tomorrow (56)