Aug 9, 2012, 11:26 AM EDT
Kudos to the fine folks at NHL.com for their innovative look at the 24th anniversary of the Wayne Gretzky-to-Los Angeles trade — 24 of the Great One’s most unbreakable records.
Here’s a quick video rundown remembering Aug. 9, 1988 and beyond:
“I promised Mess I wouldn’t do this”
Gretzky’s tearful farewell presser…
Pocklington: “I had all kinds of death threats”
The Oilers owner quickly became the biggest villain in Edmonton (perhaps Canada).
Gretzky breaks Gordie Howe’s points record…in Edmonton:
One of the two greatest moments No. 99 had in a Kings uniform.
Gretzky’s Game 7 hat trick vs. Toronto in 1993:
I’d argue this would be the other one.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 0
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 9
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 17
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)