Aug 9, 2012, 5:00 PM EST
The Toronto Maple Leafs have agreed to terms with 2011 first round pick Tyler Biggs on a three-year, entry-level deal.
Biggs, 19, was taken 22nd overall in 2011 after playing two seasons with the U.S. National Development Team in the USHL.
The son of former Philadelphia Flyers center Don Biggs, Tyler spent the 2011-12 campaign at the University of Miami (Ohio) before leaving school to focus on his pro career.
“It was a decision that me and my family took our time with,” Biggs said in May. “Ultimately, it was the feeling that moving on and having that opportunity at the next level would be that much better for my development.”
With his first professional contract now signed, Biggs has options on where to play in 2012-13.
His CHL junior rights are held by Oshawa of the OHL, but he’s still eligible to play in the American Hockey League with the Maple Leafs’ affiliate, the Toronto Marlies.
Biggs has good size (6-foot-2, 200 pounds) and most of June working with Toronto’s skating coach, Barb Underhill, before participating in Toronto’s prospect camp in July.
He’s currently with the U.S.A Hockey as part of the National Junior Evaluation Camp.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 10
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 13
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 25
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 6
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)