Aug 9, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs have agreed to terms with 2011 first round pick Tyler Biggs on a three-year, entry-level deal.
Biggs, 19, was taken 22nd overall in 2011 after playing two seasons with the U.S. National Development Team in the USHL.
The son of former Philadelphia Flyers center Don Biggs, Tyler spent the 2011-12 campaign at the University of Miami (Ohio) before leaving school to focus on his pro career.
“It was a decision that me and my family took our time with,” Biggs said in May. “Ultimately, it was the feeling that moving on and having that opportunity at the next level would be that much better for my development.”
With his first professional contract now signed, Biggs has options on where to play in 2012-13.
His CHL junior rights are held by Oshawa of the OHL, but he’s still eligible to play in the American Hockey League with the Maple Leafs’ affiliate, the Toronto Marlies.
Biggs has good size (6-foot-2, 200 pounds) and most of June working with Toronto’s skating coach, Barb Underhill, before participating in Toronto’s prospect camp in July.
He’s currently with the U.S.A Hockey as part of the National Junior Evaluation Camp.
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 4
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 2
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 33
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)