Aug 9, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, that squad is the Anaheim Ducks.
The Ducks got off to a horrid 10-22-6 last season and while they did bounce back in a big way, the damage was already done. They didn’t even come close to making the playoffs, and their top three forwards — Corey Perry, Bobby Ryan, and Ryan Getzlaf — all took significant steps backwards.
Over the summer, the Ducks signed blueliners Sheldon Souray and Bryan Allen. After taking some time to weigh his options, the ageless wonder known as Teemu Selanne also decided to stay on for at least one more year.
Before any of those moves happened, Anaheim traded Lubomir Visnovsky to the New York Islanders for a 2013 second-round draft pick. However, in a move that could have only happened to the Islanders, Visnovsky has filed a grievance in the hopes of voiding the deal. According to a recent report, the grievance is currently in limbo.
On top of the uncertainty surrounding Visnovsky, there’s also the trade rumors surrounding Ryan, and the fact that Perry and Getzlaf are both scheduled to become unrestricted free agents next summer.
There are a lot of big issues surrounding the team, but ultimately the biggest question is this: Can the Anaheim Ducks bounce back after finishing near the bottom of the pack in 2012-13?
Stay tuned for our extended coverage of the Ducks.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)