Aug 9, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, that squad is the Anaheim Ducks.
The Ducks got off to a horrid 10-22-6 last season and while they did bounce back in a big way, the damage was already done. They didn’t even come close to making the playoffs, and their top three forwards — Corey Perry, Bobby Ryan, and Ryan Getzlaf — all took significant steps backwards.
Over the summer, the Ducks signed blueliners Sheldon Souray and Bryan Allen. After taking some time to weigh his options, the ageless wonder known as Teemu Selanne also decided to stay on for at least one more year.
Before any of those moves happened, Anaheim traded Lubomir Visnovsky to the New York Islanders for a 2013 second-round draft pick. However, in a move that could have only happened to the Islanders, Visnovsky has filed a grievance in the hopes of voiding the deal. According to a recent report, the grievance is currently in limbo.
On top of the uncertainty surrounding Visnovsky, there’s also the trade rumors surrounding Ryan, and the fact that Perry and Getzlaf are both scheduled to become unrestricted free agents next summer.
There are a lot of big issues surrounding the team, but ultimately the biggest question is this: Can the Anaheim Ducks bounce back after finishing near the bottom of the pack in 2012-13?
Stay tuned for our extended coverage of the Ducks.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 24
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 40
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 34
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21