Aug 9, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, that squad is the Anaheim Ducks.
The Ducks got off to a horrid 10-22-6 last season and while they did bounce back in a big way, the damage was already done. They didn’t even come close to making the playoffs, and their top three forwards — Corey Perry, Bobby Ryan, and Ryan Getzlaf — all took significant steps backwards.
Over the summer, the Ducks signed blueliners Sheldon Souray and Bryan Allen. After taking some time to weigh his options, the ageless wonder known as Teemu Selanne also decided to stay on for at least one more year.
Before any of those moves happened, Anaheim traded Lubomir Visnovsky to the New York Islanders for a 2013 second-round draft pick. However, in a move that could have only happened to the Islanders, Visnovsky has filed a grievance in the hopes of voiding the deal. According to a recent report, the grievance is currently in limbo.
On top of the uncertainty surrounding Visnovsky, there’s also the trade rumors surrounding Ryan, and the fact that Perry and Getzlaf are both scheduled to become unrestricted free agents next summer.
There are a lot of big issues surrounding the team, but ultimately the biggest question is this: Can the Anaheim Ducks bounce back after finishing near the bottom of the pack in 2012-13?
Stay tuned for our extended coverage of the Ducks.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 5
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)