Aug 9, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, that squad is the Anaheim Ducks.
The Ducks got off to a horrid 10-22-6 last season and while they did bounce back in a big way, the damage was already done. They didn’t even come close to making the playoffs, and their top three forwards — Corey Perry, Bobby Ryan, and Ryan Getzlaf — all took significant steps backwards.
Over the summer, the Ducks signed blueliners Sheldon Souray and Bryan Allen. After taking some time to weigh his options, the ageless wonder known as Teemu Selanne also decided to stay on for at least one more year.
Before any of those moves happened, Anaheim traded Lubomir Visnovsky to the New York Islanders for a 2013 second-round draft pick. However, in a move that could have only happened to the Islanders, Visnovsky has filed a grievance in the hopes of voiding the deal. According to a recent report, the grievance is currently in limbo.
On top of the uncertainty surrounding Visnovsky, there’s also the trade rumors surrounding Ryan, and the fact that Perry and Getzlaf are both scheduled to become unrestricted free agents next summer.
There are a lot of big issues surrounding the team, but ultimately the biggest question is this: Can the Anaheim Ducks bounce back after finishing near the bottom of the pack in 2012-13?
Stay tuned for our extended coverage of the Ducks.
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 2
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 30
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)