Aug 9, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, that squad is the Anaheim Ducks.
The Ducks got off to a horrid 10-22-6 last season and while they did bounce back in a big way, the damage was already done. They didn’t even come close to making the playoffs, and their top three forwards — Corey Perry, Bobby Ryan, and Ryan Getzlaf — all took significant steps backwards.
Over the summer, the Ducks signed blueliners Sheldon Souray and Bryan Allen. After taking some time to weigh his options, the ageless wonder known as Teemu Selanne also decided to stay on for at least one more year.
Before any of those moves happened, Anaheim traded Lubomir Visnovsky to the New York Islanders for a 2013 second-round draft pick. However, in a move that could have only happened to the Islanders, Visnovsky has filed a grievance in the hopes of voiding the deal. According to a recent report, the grievance is currently in limbo.
On top of the uncertainty surrounding Visnovsky, there’s also the trade rumors surrounding Ryan, and the fact that Perry and Getzlaf are both scheduled to become unrestricted free agents next summer.
There are a lot of big issues surrounding the team, but ultimately the biggest question is this: Can the Anaheim Ducks bounce back after finishing near the bottom of the pack in 2012-13?
Stay tuned for our extended coverage of the Ducks.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 0
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 25
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)