Aug 9, 2012, 5:25 PM EDT
The NHLPA hasn’t made a counteroffer yet to the NHL’s initial proposal yet, but at least now we have a release date.
“Whether you call it a counter-proposal, an alternative proposal, a proposal, you know, or a tree…whatever it is, we expect it on Tuesday,” NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr told reporters Thursday, according to NHLPA.com. He then helpfully added that “the last part was a joke.”
The clock is ticking, especially after NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said that he “reiterated to the union that the owners will not play another year under the current agreement.”
The current CBA is set to expire on Sept. 15 and there are a number of issues that need to be resolved in order to avoid a lockout.
Fehr has taken issue with the NHL’s proposed revenue sharing system, which he said “would be paid for by player salary reductions.”
He also added that there’s a “meaningful gulf” when it comes to revenue sharing.
The players’ union and NHL will meet again on Friday and at least three times next week.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 17
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 69
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks