Aug 9, 2012, 5:25 PM EDT
The NHLPA hasn’t made a counteroffer yet to the NHL’s initial proposal yet, but at least now we have a release date.
“Whether you call it a counter-proposal, an alternative proposal, a proposal, you know, or a tree…whatever it is, we expect it on Tuesday,” NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr told reporters Thursday, according to NHLPA.com. He then helpfully added that “the last part was a joke.”
The clock is ticking, especially after NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said that he “reiterated to the union that the owners will not play another year under the current agreement.”
The current CBA is set to expire on Sept. 15 and there are a number of issues that need to be resolved in order to avoid a lockout.
Fehr has taken issue with the NHL’s proposed revenue sharing system, which he said “would be paid for by player salary reductions.”
He also added that there’s a “meaningful gulf” when it comes to revenue sharing.
The players’ union and NHL will meet again on Friday and at least three times next week.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 46
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)