Aug 9, 2012, 5:25 PM EDT
The NHLPA hasn’t made a counteroffer yet to the NHL’s initial proposal yet, but at least now we have a release date.
“Whether you call it a counter-proposal, an alternative proposal, a proposal, you know, or a tree…whatever it is, we expect it on Tuesday,” NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr told reporters Thursday, according to NHLPA.com. He then helpfully added that “the last part was a joke.”
The clock is ticking, especially after NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said that he “reiterated to the union that the owners will not play another year under the current agreement.”
The current CBA is set to expire on Sept. 15 and there are a number of issues that need to be resolved in order to avoid a lockout.
Fehr has taken issue with the NHL’s proposed revenue sharing system, which he said “would be paid for by player salary reductions.”
He also added that there’s a “meaningful gulf” when it comes to revenue sharing.
The players’ union and NHL will meet again on Friday and at least three times next week.
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 0
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 11
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 15
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 9
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 29
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)