Aug 9, 2012, 11:02 PM EDT
Butler wasn’t able to earn a permanent spot with the Senators as a top-six forward, but Devils GM Lou Lamoriello thinks he still has that kind of potential.
“There’s no question he was goal scorer in college and certainly in the first (36) games in Ottawa his first year,” Lamoriello said, based on a report from the Bergen Record. Butler had 10 goals and 21 points in 36 games with Ottawa as a rookie.
“He showed he can score and then for whatever reason, and these things happen when there’s a coaching change, he didn’t get as much as ice time (only 11:28 per game after playing 15:25 per game in 2010-11)—not through anyone’s fault,” Lamoriello added. “He also played in Binghamton for (former Devils assistant and AHL head coach) Kurt Klienendorst when they won the Calder Cup, so we know a lot about him there and also his college coach (Dick Umile) I had at Providence. So, we know enough about him.”
Butler will be “given every opportunity” to make the team out of training camp.
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 0
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 13
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)