Aug 9, 2012, 6:45 PM EST
The NHL owners won’t run the league for another year under the current agreement. They want a new CBA to replace the one that will expire on Sept. 15.
However, as NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr put it, there’s a “meaningful gulf” when it comes to revenue sharing.
“The biggest reason was, it seems to us that both overall and on a club-by-club basis, all of the revenue-sharing payments — both the new ones and the existing ones — would be paid for by player salary reductions,” Fehr said, according to an ESPN report.
Meanwhile, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said that “we need to be paying out less in player costs.”
“That’s something that while revenue sharing has been an important part of the existing collective bargaining agreement, we intend to have it going forward in an enhanced way,” Bettman added. “Revenue sharing isn’t the key element. It’s an element that has to be dealt with, but the fundamental economics need to be dealt with first.”
The players’ union and league are expected to meet at least three times next week.
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 22
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 67
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 16
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 34
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (68)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)