Aug 9, 2012, 6:45 PM EST
The NHL owners won’t run the league for another year under the current agreement. They want a new CBA to replace the one that will expire on Sept. 15.
However, as NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr put it, there’s a “meaningful gulf” when it comes to revenue sharing.
“The biggest reason was, it seems to us that both overall and on a club-by-club basis, all of the revenue-sharing payments — both the new ones and the existing ones — would be paid for by player salary reductions,” Fehr said, according to an ESPN report.
Meanwhile, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said that “we need to be paying out less in player costs.”
“That’s something that while revenue sharing has been an important part of the existing collective bargaining agreement, we intend to have it going forward in an enhanced way,” Bettman added. “Revenue sharing isn’t the key element. It’s an element that has to be dealt with, but the fundamental economics need to be dealt with first.”
The players’ union and league are expected to meet at least three times next week.
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 3
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 28
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 80
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)