Aug 9, 2012, 6:45 PM EDT
The NHL owners won’t run the league for another year under the current agreement. They want a new CBA to replace the one that will expire on Sept. 15.
However, as NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr put it, there’s a “meaningful gulf” when it comes to revenue sharing.
“The biggest reason was, it seems to us that both overall and on a club-by-club basis, all of the revenue-sharing payments — both the new ones and the existing ones — would be paid for by player salary reductions,” Fehr said, according to an ESPN report.
Meanwhile, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said that “we need to be paying out less in player costs.”
“That’s something that while revenue sharing has been an important part of the existing collective bargaining agreement, we intend to have it going forward in an enhanced way,” Bettman added. “Revenue sharing isn’t the key element. It’s an element that has to be dealt with, but the fundamental economics need to be dealt with first.”
The players’ union and league are expected to meet at least three times next week.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)