Aug 8, 2012, 9:38 PM EST
The Hurricanes haven’t won the Southeast Division since their Stanley Cup-winning 2005-06 campaign and they finished in the division’s basement last season.
This time around, the Hurricanes could realistically enter the season with a top line that features the Staal brothers and Semin. That would set up a second line that will likely include some combination of Skinner, Jussi Jokinen, Tuomo Ruutu, and Jiri Tlusty. All-in-all, that looks pretty good.
Cam Ward will, of course, be their starting goaltender again and while he didn’t put up ideal numbers last season, he did get significantly better in the second half of 2011-12. He’s certainly capable of leading a strong team to the promised land.
Their defense is a bit more of a question mark, but a healthy Pitkanen would certainly help.
There are other x-factors too, not the least of which is Semin, who could be anything from the team’s scoring leader to a decent secondary scorer. However, they are a deeper team than they were last season and that will certainly help.
It’s also worth noting that they aren’t exactly the only club with potential issues within their division. The Southeast Division is full of teams that have both promise and plenty of unanswered questions entering the 2012-13. That’s why it’s looking like such a wide open race, but if nothing else, the Carolina Hurricanes have put them in a much better position this summer.
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvrith makes Sabres debut 0
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 17
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 33
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 33
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)