Aug 8, 2012, 1:34 PM EDT
From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
33-33-16, 82 points. Fifth in the Southeast Division, 12th in the Eastern Conference.
Second round, 38th overall — Phillip Di Guiseppe, LW (Univ. of Michigan)
Back in May, ‘Canes GM Jim Rutherford said he planned on being a major player in both the trade and free agent markets.
He wasn’t kidding.
Rutherford orchestrated the offseason’s biggest swap (Jordan Staal for Brandon Sutter, Brian Dumoulin and the eighth overall pick), issued one of the biggest extensions (Staal’s 10-year, $60 million contract) and took a flier one one of the biggest question marks ($7 million for Alex Semin).
The end result was a far different team from the one that finished dead last in the Southeast.
The ‘Canes now boast a dynamic forward group, led by the projected top-six of the Staals, Semin, Jeff Skinner, Tuomo Ruutu and Jussi Jokinen. All six have scored 20 goals at least once in their careers while Eric Staal, Semin, Skinner and Jokinen have hit 30 before.
Rutherford wasn’t as successful bolstering his blueline, though he did return a familiar face in Joe Corvo and locked up the steady Jay Harrison at a nice price ($1.5 million per.)
No Eastern Conference team reshaped itself like Carolina did this offseason — up front, that is. The defense is still a question mark and much is seemingly riding on two kids under the age of 21: Justin Faulk and Ryan Murphy.
Faulk played to rave reviews last season, scoring 22 points in 66 games and earning a spot on the NHL’s All-Rookie team. Murphy, the 12th overall pick in 2011, made the ‘Canes out of camp last season as an 18-year-old before being returned to OHL Kitchener. If Faulk can avoid a sophomore slump and Murphy can replicate Faulk’s rookie success, the ‘Canes will have a decent group (including Corvo, Harrison, Tim Gleason, Joni Pitkanen and Jamie McBain.)
If not…there could be repeat moments from last season, when Carolina finished 25th in goals allowed per game (2.89).
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of the Hurricanes’ 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
May 19, 2013, 12:44 AM EDT
Doesn’t sound appetizing.
May 19, 2013, 12:12 AM EDT
Logan Couture goes from injured to game-winner.
May 18, 2013, 11:27 PM EDT
His Halifax Mooseheads topped Seth Jones’ Portland Winterhawks.
May 18, 2013, 10:49 PM EDT
May 18, 2013, 10:40 PM EDT
At least Scott Hannan’s OK?
May 18, 2013, 10:19 PM EDT
These moments hurt in games with small margins of error.
May 18, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT
After falling to it in Game 2.
May 18, 2013, 9:09 PM EDT
Matt Greene isn’t playing in Game 3, either.
May 18, 2013, 8:11 PM EDT
Dennis Seidenberg likely out, Wade Redden’s a game-time decision.
May 18, 2013, 7:22 PM EDT
His club’s down 0-2 to the Kings…
May 18, 2013, 6:33 PM EDT
Their critical press release fund must be dry.
May 18, 2013, 6:01 PM EDT
Is that “grossly unfair,” too?
May 18, 2013, 4:50 PM EDT
The captain cares not for the rough stuff.
May 18, 2013, 4:22 PM EDT
Flying through the air going five-hole? Yes.
May 18, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
It’s their first finals appearance since 1935.
May 18, 2013, 3:35 PM EDT
The comments are now open.
May 18, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
Lineup shuffles are on the way.
May 18, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
It’s his call whether to go or not.
May 18, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
On-ice chatter at its best.
May 18, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT
He missed 12 games with a broken thumb.
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 2
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 10
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 40
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 41
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 25
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: IIHF highlights: Sweden 3, Finland 0