Aug 8, 2012, 8:15 PM EDT
The City of Markham, which is located within the Greater Toronto Area, is moving forward with it’s plan to build an NHL-worthy arena.
As the Toronto Star reported, chairman and CEO of GTA Sports and Entertainment, Graeme Roustan, has submitted plans for the 20,000-seat arena.
“This is one of many steps that has to take place, but it’s an important step,” said Mayor Frank Scarpitti. “When you submit your site plan application, it indicates from the private sector side that you are serious about the project and want it to proceed.”
Scarpitti promised to make the review of the application “priority number one for us here in Markham.”
The Mayor isn’t sure if construction will be able to start by this fall, but he wouldn’t rule out the possibility of it starting this year.
As we previously reported, Markham council has already approved of a public-private financing plan for the arena. However, as the Star pointed out, there’s still work to be done regarding the financial framework, among other issues.
Perhaps this will ultimately prove to be the first step towards Toronto getting a second NHL team, but obviously nothing is certain in that regard. Just because Markham is interested in building an NHL arena, doesn’t necessarily mean that an NHL team will someday call it home.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 5
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)