Aug 8, 2012, 8:15 PM EDT
The City of Markham, which is located within the Greater Toronto Area, is moving forward with it’s plan to build an NHL-worthy arena.
As the Toronto Star reported, chairman and CEO of GTA Sports and Entertainment, Graeme Roustan, has submitted plans for the 20,000-seat arena.
“This is one of many steps that has to take place, but it’s an important step,” said Mayor Frank Scarpitti. “When you submit your site plan application, it indicates from the private sector side that you are serious about the project and want it to proceed.”
Scarpitti promised to make the review of the application “priority number one for us here in Markham.”
The Mayor isn’t sure if construction will be able to start by this fall, but he wouldn’t rule out the possibility of it starting this year.
As we previously reported, Markham council has already approved of a public-private financing plan for the arena. However, as the Star pointed out, there’s still work to be done regarding the financial framework, among other issues.
Perhaps this will ultimately prove to be the first step towards Toronto getting a second NHL team, but obviously nothing is certain in that regard. Just because Markham is interested in building an NHL arena, doesn’t necessarily mean that an NHL team will someday call it home.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)