Aug 8, 2012, 8:15 PM EDT
The City of Markham, which is located within the Greater Toronto Area, is moving forward with it’s plan to build an NHL-worthy arena.
As the Toronto Star reported, chairman and CEO of GTA Sports and Entertainment, Graeme Roustan, has submitted plans for the 20,000-seat arena.
“This is one of many steps that has to take place, but it’s an important step,” said Mayor Frank Scarpitti. “When you submit your site plan application, it indicates from the private sector side that you are serious about the project and want it to proceed.”
Scarpitti promised to make the review of the application “priority number one for us here in Markham.”
The Mayor isn’t sure if construction will be able to start by this fall, but he wouldn’t rule out the possibility of it starting this year.
As we previously reported, Markham council has already approved of a public-private financing plan for the arena. However, as the Star pointed out, there’s still work to be done regarding the financial framework, among other issues.
Perhaps this will ultimately prove to be the first step towards Toronto getting a second NHL team, but obviously nothing is certain in that regard. Just because Markham is interested in building an NHL arena, doesn’t necessarily mean that an NHL team will someday call it home.
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 2
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)