Aug 8, 2012, 10:42 AM EST
Today, Rutherford made it official.
The ‘Canes announced they’ve signed the 20-year-old to a six-year, $34.35 million deal that will pay him $4.35 million in 2013-14 and $6 million per from 2014-19.
The deal has an average annual value of $5.725 million.
“Jeff is a cornerstone player for our team, and his long-term commitment to the Hurricanes is great news for our franchise and our fans,” Rutherford told the Hurricanes website. “At 20 years old, he is still in the very early stages of his career, and we felt it was important to ensure he would be spending much more of it in Raleigh.”
Skinner won the Calder Trophy in 2010-11 and has scored 107 points in his first 146 career games with the ‘Canes.
The signing caps off what’s been a whirlwind — and spendy — summer in Raleigh.
Rutherford broke the bank and the ‘Canes have become the Eastern Conference’s most dramatically altered team in the process. Had it not been for Minnesota signing Zach Parise and Ryan Suter, that statement could’ve been applicable for the entire NHL.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)