Aug 8, 2012, 10:42 AM EST
Today, Rutherford made it official.
The ‘Canes announced they’ve signed the 20-year-old to a six-year, $34.35 million deal that will pay him $4.35 million in 2013-14 and $6 million per from 2014-19.
The deal has an average annual value of $5.725 million.
“Jeff is a cornerstone player for our team, and his long-term commitment to the Hurricanes is great news for our franchise and our fans,” Rutherford told the Hurricanes website. “At 20 years old, he is still in the very early stages of his career, and we felt it was important to ensure he would be spending much more of it in Raleigh.”
Skinner won the Calder Trophy in 2010-11 and has scored 107 points in his first 146 career games with the ‘Canes.
The signing caps off what’s been a whirlwind — and spendy — summer in Raleigh.
Rutherford broke the bank and the ‘Canes have become the Eastern Conference’s most dramatically altered team in the process. Had it not been for Minnesota signing Zach Parise and Ryan Suter, that statement could’ve been applicable for the entire NHL.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)