Aug 8, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, that squad is the Carolina Hurricanes.
Last season, the Hurricanes were a storm of disappointment. They spent last summer spending money on Tomas Kaberle and Alexei Ponikarovsky only to trade them away later on. Meanwhile the team finished out of the playoffs while leaving goalie Cam Ward hung out to dry. GM Jim Rutherford admitted his mistake on Kaberle, he was determined to make a splash this offseason.
Boy did he.
During the NHL Draft they traded Brandon Sutter and a first-round pick to Pittsburgh for Jordan Staal. They signed Alexander Semin. They’ve now, reportedly, locked Jeff Skinner up to a six-year extension.
Is that enough to make the Hurricanes a playoff team in 2012-13 though? Stick around with PHT throughout the day as we’ll break down a team looking to get back to the postseason for the first time since 2008-09.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 92
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (92)