Aug 8, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, that squad is the Carolina Hurricanes.
Last season, the Hurricanes were a storm of disappointment. They spent last summer spending money on Tomas Kaberle and Alexei Ponikarovsky only to trade them away later on. Meanwhile the team finished out of the playoffs while leaving goalie Cam Ward hung out to dry. GM Jim Rutherford admitted his mistake on Kaberle, he was determined to make a splash this offseason.
Boy did he.
During the NHL Draft they traded Brandon Sutter and a first-round pick to Pittsburgh for Jordan Staal. They signed Alexander Semin. They’ve now, reportedly, locked Jeff Skinner up to a six-year extension.
Is that enough to make the Hurricanes a playoff team in 2012-13 though? Stick around with PHT throughout the day as we’ll break down a team looking to get back to the postseason for the first time since 2008-09.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 2
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 76
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 32
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (77)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)