Aug 8, 2012, 12:21 PM EST
Hartnell, who has attended six negotiating sessions thus far, had plenty to say about the owners’ initial offer, specifically regarding the biggest difference between now and the work stoppage of seven years ago.
“[Gary Bettman] doesn’t want to look at the rich teams or the teams that are losing money. He wants to look at them all together which is a total 180 from what it was seven years ago.
“It’s a little frustrating that way, but that’s their position and you take it as it is. You have to believe they are 100 percent certain of getting everything [from us].
“It’s up to us to see if it’s feasible or not. But you look at the rollback and percentage they want and it’s more concessions then we gave up last time around.”
Hartnell said the NHL’s proposed revenue share cut — the players’ share would go from 57 percent to 46 — is “very frustrating.” He also isn’t a big fan of the rollback (which is inherent in the revenue decrease.)
“I don’t know if owners were thinking that’s why they signed these guys to that kind of money, but it’s a little ridiculous to me.”
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 7
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 80
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 74
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 64
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 41
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 74
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 170
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (170)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (80)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (74)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (74)