Aug 8, 2012, 12:21 PM EDT
Hartnell, who has attended six negotiating sessions thus far, had plenty to say about the owners’ initial offer, specifically regarding the biggest difference between now and the work stoppage of seven years ago.
“[Gary Bettman] doesn’t want to look at the rich teams or the teams that are losing money. He wants to look at them all together which is a total 180 from what it was seven years ago.
“It’s a little frustrating that way, but that’s their position and you take it as it is. You have to believe they are 100 percent certain of getting everything [from us].
“It’s up to us to see if it’s feasible or not. But you look at the rollback and percentage they want and it’s more concessions then we gave up last time around.”
Hartnell said the NHL’s proposed revenue share cut — the players’ share would go from 57 percent to 46 — is “very frustrating.” He also isn’t a big fan of the rollback (which is inherent in the revenue decrease.)
“I don’t know if owners were thinking that’s why they signed these guys to that kind of money, but it’s a little ridiculous to me.”
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 4
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 10
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 35
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)