Aug 8, 2012, 3:41 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers have signed a pair of youngsters to multi-year deals — defenseman Marc-Andre Bourdon and 2012 first-round selection Scott Laughton.
According to CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio, Bourdon’s deal is two years, $1.225 million (average annual value of $612,500.) Laughton’s is a three-year entry-level contract worth $925,000 per season with a performance bonus of $212,500.
Bourdon, 22, appeared in 45 games for the Flyers last season, his first in the NHL. He tallied 4G-3A-7PTS while averaging over 16 minutes a night, playing in one postseason contest.
The 6-foot, 225-pound rearguard’s signing coincides with yesterday’s news that Andrej Meszaros would be out indefinitely with a torn Achilles tendon. In speaking about how the Flyers defense planned to compensate for the loss, GM Paul Holmgren identified Bourdon as one of the “young kids that we like.”
Laughton, 18, was taken 20th overall at the draft after a standout season with OHL Oshawa where he posted 21G-32A-53PTS in 64 games…with 101 penalty minutes.
He was a key contributor for Team Canada at the 2012 World U18s, scoring seven points in seven games en route to a bronze medal.
Laughton also caught the eye of Philly’s director of player development, Ian Laperriere, during July’s prospect camp. The physical forward threw several hits and won a big fight.
“He knows what people like here, he knows what the Flyers are all about,” Laperriere said of Laughton. “He just went in there. For me, it stood out big time.”
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)