Aug 8, 2012, 3:41 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers have signed a pair of youngsters to multi-year deals — defenseman Marc-Andre Bourdon and 2012 first-round selection Scott Laughton.
According to CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio, Bourdon’s deal is two years, $1.225 million (average annual value of $612,500.) Laughton’s is a three-year entry-level contract worth $925,000 per season with a performance bonus of $212,500.
Bourdon, 22, appeared in 45 games for the Flyers last season, his first in the NHL. He tallied 4G-3A-7PTS while averaging over 16 minutes a night, playing in one postseason contest.
The 6-foot, 225-pound rearguard’s signing coincides with yesterday’s news that Andrej Meszaros would be out indefinitely with a torn Achilles tendon. In speaking about how the Flyers defense planned to compensate for the loss, GM Paul Holmgren identified Bourdon as one of the “young kids that we like.”
Laughton, 18, was taken 20th overall at the draft after a standout season with OHL Oshawa where he posted 21G-32A-53PTS in 64 games…with 101 penalty minutes.
He was a key contributor for Team Canada at the 2012 World U18s, scoring seven points in seven games en route to a bronze medal.
Laughton also caught the eye of Philly’s director of player development, Ian Laperriere, during July’s prospect camp. The physical forward threw several hits and won a big fight.
“He knows what people like here, he knows what the Flyers are all about,” Laperriere said of Laughton. “He just went in there. For me, it stood out big time.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)