Aug 8, 2012, 3:41 PM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers have signed a pair of youngsters to multi-year deals — defenseman Marc-Andre Bourdon and 2012 first-round selection Scott Laughton.
According to CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio, Bourdon’s deal is two years, $1.225 million (average annual value of $612,500.) Laughton’s is a three-year entry-level contract worth $925,000 per season with a performance bonus of $212,500.
Bourdon, 22, appeared in 45 games for the Flyers last season, his first in the NHL. He tallied 4G-3A-7PTS while averaging over 16 minutes a night, playing in one postseason contest.
The 6-foot, 225-pound rearguard’s signing coincides with yesterday’s news that Andrej Meszaros would be out indefinitely with a torn Achilles tendon. In speaking about how the Flyers defense planned to compensate for the loss, GM Paul Holmgren identified Bourdon as one of the “young kids that we like.”
Laughton, 18, was taken 20th overall at the draft after a standout season with OHL Oshawa where he posted 21G-32A-53PTS in 64 games…with 101 penalty minutes.
He was a key contributor for Team Canada at the 2012 World U18s, scoring seven points in seven games en route to a bronze medal.
Laughton also caught the eye of Philly’s director of player development, Ian Laperriere, during July’s prospect camp. The physical forward threw several hits and won a big fight.
“He knows what people like here, he knows what the Flyers are all about,” Laperriere said of Laughton. “He just went in there. For me, it stood out big time.”
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)