Aug 8, 2012, 3:41 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers have signed a pair of youngsters to multi-year deals — defenseman Marc-Andre Bourdon and 2012 first-round selection Scott Laughton.
According to CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio, Bourdon’s deal is two years, $1.225 million (average annual value of $612,500.) Laughton’s is a three-year entry-level contract worth $925,000 per season with a performance bonus of $212,500.
Bourdon, 22, appeared in 45 games for the Flyers last season, his first in the NHL. He tallied 4G-3A-7PTS while averaging over 16 minutes a night, playing in one postseason contest.
The 6-foot, 225-pound rearguard’s signing coincides with yesterday’s news that Andrej Meszaros would be out indefinitely with a torn Achilles tendon. In speaking about how the Flyers defense planned to compensate for the loss, GM Paul Holmgren identified Bourdon as one of the “young kids that we like.”
Laughton, 18, was taken 20th overall at the draft after a standout season with OHL Oshawa where he posted 21G-32A-53PTS in 64 games…with 101 penalty minutes.
He was a key contributor for Team Canada at the 2012 World U18s, scoring seven points in seven games en route to a bronze medal.
Laughton also caught the eye of Philly’s director of player development, Ian Laperriere, during July’s prospect camp. The physical forward threw several hits and won a big fight.
“He knows what people like here, he knows what the Flyers are all about,” Laperriere said of Laughton. “He just went in there. For me, it stood out big time.”
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)