FBI contacted Joel Ward following Twitter incident

Aug 8, 2012, 5:24 PM EST

Joel Ward #42 of the Washington Capitals tries to keep the puck as Tyler Seguin #19 of the Boston Bruins defends in Game One of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals during the 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at TD Garden on April 12, 2012 in Boston, Massachusetts. The Boston Bruins defeated the Washington Capitals 1-0 in overtime.
(April 11, 2012 - Source: Elsa/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

Back in April, Ward was a Capitals’ hero. The man who scored the overtime game-winning goal to take Game 7 in their first round series against the Stanley Cup defending Boston Bruins.

Unfortunately, some people then took to twitter to make racists remarks regarding Ward. In response, the Bruins released a statement saying, “These classless, ignorant views are in no way a reflection of anyone associated with the Bruins organization.”

As the Washington Post reported, the FBI also felt the need to react to the incident.

“I had one phone call from an FBI agent who was scared for me,” Ward told 102.1 The Edge in Toronto. “He was just asking some questions like, ‘How’s your family doing, how’s everybody doing, are you okay? Did you get any weird messages?’ So now I’m like, really freaked out.”

The FBI wanted to stay in contact with Ward and fortunately he was never harmed.

“I have to go follow up when I get back to D.C., just to kind make sure, clear things over,” Ward said. “But I told him I was fine, my family’s still living in the same place and all that.”

Ward also had hernia surgery and he talked about it with 102.1 The Edge.

The excerpt, which includes more than the Ward interview, is intended for an adult audience and is definitely not safe for work. I can’t emphasize that enough, especially when it comes to his hernia story. That being said, if you really want to listen to it, you can do so here.

1. theawesomersfranchise - Aug 8, 2012 at 5:38 PM

See? even FBI agents know what the Boston sports fan is like.
    Be scared

2. elemeno89 - Aug 8, 2012 at 5:39 PM

racism is disgusting. and any bruins fan that said such things should be ashamed of themselves for bringing that into what i know is a racism free league.

be proud of people differences.

• elrock7 - Aug 8, 2012 at 8:04 PM

unfortunately it is not a racism free league.

• elemeno89 - Aug 8, 2012 at 8:25 PM

i would like to think and hope otherwise. i know that thee will always be racists. it’s kind of sad to think that there will always be intolerance…

• charleslouis99 - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Lets not forget the whole Wayne simmonds thing at the beginning of the year lets hope nothing happens again this year

3. elemeno89 - Aug 8, 2012 at 5:39 PM

be proud of peoples differences.

4. cowboyscanada - Aug 8, 2012 at 5:44 PM

No room for racism!

5. claysbar - Aug 8, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Call me devils advocate if you want, but does the fact he play’s in Washington, with FBI headquarters a hop, skip and a jump away have anything to do with this? Plenty of “famous” people have been threatened via text, twitter, blog and I personally have never heard of such a reaction from the authorities. Just thinking out loud.

• brianforster - Aug 8, 2012 at 5:52 PM

just because you havent heard about it doesnt mean it didnt happen.. joel ward is probably just one of the few to bring it up publicly.

• claysbar - Aug 8, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I’m not denying that it happened or doesn’t happen.

• paledevil - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:45 PM

My guess the Fed was from Boston ….

• 11cups - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Really. That’s all you have to say? Really

• paledevil - Aug 14, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Yea no matter what personal outrage or hardship chain of command and loyalty is my creed

• jpelle82 - Aug 9, 2012 at 11:30 AM

didnt know the fbi investigates on behalf of canadians.

6. spizzjr - Aug 8, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Boston fans are truly moronic

• 11cups - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:15 PM

So are spizzjr

7. muttbolts - Aug 8, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Buck foston

• 11cups - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Talk about prejudice

8. dhillca - Aug 8, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Hardly a ‘Boston fan’ issue, grow up

• itsallniceonice - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Yeah the funny thing here is that a lot of those idiots weren’t from Boston, Massachusetts, or even New England. But whatever, we have money and news to make so let’s harp on old stereotypes of Boston hurrah!!

• dchillin - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:19 PM

LOL money to make…. your talking to Washington fans here who run the Free World as you know it. Learn your place you typical Boston A’hole

9. habsman - Aug 8, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Racists are everywhere. They just seem to be more prevalent in that scum bag fan base. Hard not to feel sorry for Malcolm Subban.

• elrock7 - Aug 8, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Hopefully Malcolm is not a dick like PK

• bearcountry17 - Aug 8, 2012 at 8:20 PM

almost as bad as i feel for Randy Cunneyworth. Il nest pas parler francais, L’horreur.

• habsman - Aug 8, 2012 at 8:42 PM

What does language have to do with racism?

• itsallniceonice - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:45 AM

You actually are an idiot habsman. I understand that discriminating against language may not be looked upon as poorly as discriminating against looks but you guys sure have embarrassed yourselves. You dumped all over the Cunneyworth because he only spoke English (mind you and official Canadian language). 24 cups and I thought you guys were about winning! Instead it’s “HE CAN’T SPEAK FRENCH I DON’T WANT TO USE MY ENGLISH TONIGHT GET THE PITCHFORKS!”. Get over yourselves. I have been to many places worldwide and have never met more rude people than in Montreal because I couldn’t speak French. The damn hicks in South Carolina gave up the Confederate Flag and you guys can’t even accept an English speaking coach even if it means turning your pansy, soft, diving organization into winners.

• habsman - Aug 9, 2012 at 11:22 AM

@itsallnice,

First, Canada has two official languages, English and French. Second, the city on Montreal is very diverse ethnically but the majority of the population is francophone. The fans of the Canadiens (English and French) are very passionate about their team. When the head coach can only communicate to one part of the fan base, and not the other, then some fans are going to be upset. Would you be happy to tune into a press conference for your team, and the coach spoke German?

Montreal has a precedent and history of bi-lingual coaches that has served them very well (24 cups). But it does at times put the organization at a disadvantage when seeking new coaches. The French fans in Mtl do not hate Cunnyworth, they hate the fact he can’t communicate with them and cannot explain whats happening with the team on a day to day basis. Montreal is unique in this respect from all other teams in the NHL.

I’ve visited Montreal many times, and it’s my favorite city. Maybe your treatment there was based on your attitude and not theirs.

• itsallniceonice - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Habsman. It’s fun to pretend I am a racist moron from Boston but c’mon. Yeah I had a typo and said “and” instead of “an”. I am supremely aware that both English and French are official national languages. You would do yourself a huge favor by visiting the land of the fan base you so hate. I’ve been to Montreal and loved it, barring a few incidents of people being extremely rude to me because I didn’t immediately respond to their French commands. Do you guys treat other Canadians like this? My attitude was nothing but positive and it’s obvious that you think preconceived notions of fandom supercede reality. You should do yourself a favor and visit Boston, it’s a wonderful city, considered one of the best in the country, just leave your fandom and hate of the Bruins at the door and enjoy the people and city, for well, the people and city. Becareful though you might enjoy it.

10. loinstache - Aug 8, 2012 at 8:58 PM

@habsman don’t play stupid

11. bruin63 - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I don’t think any real bruins fan or even any real hockey fan would say such a thing. It is a disgrace anybody would say such a thing but incase you haven’t noticed not all people are good. A few angry kids said a few racist things. This is a bad thing, but you can’t hold a whole fan base or organization responsible for their actions.

• micklethepickle - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Really – so what you’re saying is that the hundreds (not exactly a “few”) of terrible, hateful messages came from people who aren’t fans of the Boston Bruins, but took the time to follow and watch live what is arguably the least popular professional sport in the United States, and cared enough to go on an vent their racist anger about a team they aren’t fans of?

The world must be such a cheerful place to you….

12. jrzdiablo - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I have to question the source. After all this is NBC and race baiting makes money.

I wonder if the FBI ever contacted Spike Lee when he tweeted George Zimmerman’s (wrong) address.

I guess FBI investigations only apply to those who fit Obama’s vision of a “son”.

Give me all the thumbs down you want. The truth can really burn your a*s.

• habsman - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, your typical Bruin fan.

• bbqummhmm - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:39 PM

jrzdiablo,

A question I’ve wanted to asked hundreds, if not thousands of times…

When exactly do you believe all the reverse racism in America began???
      And what event/events do you believe precipitated it’s beginning???

There will be no snarky response from me. I truly would like to try and understand your point of view.

• longislanders4 - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:38 AM

I’m confused… isn’t the source Joel Ward himself? He’s the one that talked about it on a radio show… I have to question your reading and comprehension skills

• comeonnowguys - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:07 AM

So much anger, hate and bitterness… promise us you won’t turn to violence when you officially have to call him “President Obama” for another four years.

13. ryan02190 - Aug 9, 2012 at 11:27 PM

It may sound weird that I say this but “real” racism in Boston is so misunderstood because this city didn’t go through what cities like NY, Detroit, and Chicago went through in terms of the civil rights movements in the 50’s-80’s. Combined that with the lack of education and tech-savvy, enraged Bruin-fanatic suburban-teens who ran to twitter to seek attention in wrong ways that included derogatory names towards a hockey player whom happened to be black, and you have this. Derogatory terms like the probable used in this event, this are taken less seriously, which may sound backwards because Boston may be as anti-redneck as there is, but assured, is not. Anyone who hangs in a group of friends knows that terms like “D-bag” and “Dick” hold less weight because you know the harassment is in jest. My understanding in the Boston area, is that these derogatory terms don’t carry the same weight as in other parts of the country.

I, for one, was ashamed of this event.

• babykaby - Aug 14, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Boston is supposed to be a highly educated city. There is no way I’m buying that the people who made the remarks to Joel Ward were not fully aware of how demeaning and hurtful those remarks were. I think you are grasping at straws if you are trying to defend what happened by claiming “real” racism is misunderstood in Boston. If it is, that city must have been living under a rock for the past fifty years. Just not buying what you are trying to sell here.

14. babykaby - Aug 14, 2012 at 2:05 PM

It is disturbing to me that people can hide behind their computer screens, smartphones, tablets, etc and send out comments via twitter without any worry regarding their actual identity being discovered. The funny part is most times they post with their actual picture and/or name included in the post. While what happened with Joel Ward is beyond upsetting to most enlightened and/or genuinely good people, the problem of hateful remarks being posted is widespread. Alex Ovechkin posted a picture of his girlfriend, tennis star Maria Kirilenko, on his twitter account and was immediately blasted with responses calling her a #hor+. Why would anyone do that? It is just one more example of someone with no life, no self respect, and a huge amount of jealousy. I have begun to believe that most hatred is fed by some sort of jealousy. Joel Ward scored the winning goal, so show your hatred/jealousy by attempting to hit him where it might hurt the most. You hate Ovechkin, so hit him where it might hurt the most, call his girlfriend a ^hor*.

Eakins on his way out of Edmonton?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches