Aug 8, 2012, 5:24 PM EDT
Back in April, Ward was a Capitals’ hero. The man who scored the overtime game-winning goal to take Game 7 in their first round series against the Stanley Cup defending Boston Bruins.
Unfortunately, some people then took to twitter to make racists remarks regarding Ward. In response, the Bruins released a statement saying, “These classless, ignorant views are in no way a reflection of anyone associated with the Bruins organization.”
As the Washington Post reported, the FBI also felt the need to react to the incident.
“I had one phone call from an FBI agent who was scared for me,” Ward told 102.1 The Edge in Toronto. “He was just asking some questions like, ‘How’s your family doing, how’s everybody doing, are you okay? Did you get any weird messages?’ So now I’m like, really freaked out.”
The FBI wanted to stay in contact with Ward and fortunately he was never harmed.
“I have to go follow up when I get back to D.C., just to kind make sure, clear things over,” Ward said. “But I told him I was fine, my family’s still living in the same place and all that.”
Ward also had hernia surgery and he talked about it with 102.1 The Edge.
The excerpt, which includes more than the Ward interview, is intended for an adult audience and is definitely not safe for work. I can’t emphasize that enough, especially when it comes to his hernia story. That being said, if you really want to listen to it, you can do so here.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 0
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 7
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)