Aug 8, 2012, 5:24 PM EST
Back in April, Ward was a Capitals’ hero. The man who scored the overtime game-winning goal to take Game 7 in their first round series against the Stanley Cup defending Boston Bruins.
Unfortunately, some people then took to twitter to make racists remarks regarding Ward. In response, the Bruins released a statement saying, “These classless, ignorant views are in no way a reflection of anyone associated with the Bruins organization.”
As the Washington Post reported, the FBI also felt the need to react to the incident.
“I had one phone call from an FBI agent who was scared for me,” Ward told 102.1 The Edge in Toronto. “He was just asking some questions like, ‘How’s your family doing, how’s everybody doing, are you okay? Did you get any weird messages?’ So now I’m like, really freaked out.”
The FBI wanted to stay in contact with Ward and fortunately he was never harmed.
“I have to go follow up when I get back to D.C., just to kind make sure, clear things over,” Ward said. “But I told him I was fine, my family’s still living in the same place and all that.”
Ward also had hernia surgery and he talked about it with 102.1 The Edge.
The excerpt, which includes more than the Ward interview, is intended for an adult audience and is definitely not safe for work. I can’t emphasize that enough, especially when it comes to his hernia story. That being said, if you really want to listen to it, you can do so here.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 0
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 12
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 45
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)