Aug 8, 2012, 2:30 PM EST
Nothing new to report about Avalanche center Ryan O’Reilly, who oddly remains unsigned as a restricted free agent. The Avs don’t talk about these things, and O’Reilly is being told not to talk, so it’s hard to do anything but speculate.
The general consensus is it’s crazy to think this devoted and accomplished young star figures to be the last player signed by general manager Greg Sherman for 2012-13.
O’Reilly, 21, just finished his entry-level deal that paid $900,000 annually — and finished it in style.
He led the Avs in scoring last season with a career-high 55 points and averaged 19:32 in ice time, most among all Colorado forwards. He also finished 14th in Selke voting and took the 10th-most faceoffs in the NHL.
On that note, back to Chambers:
O’Reilly might be looking at a longer deal with less annual money. Either way, why isn’t this a done deal? It’s not a complex situation. Duchene might be underpaid as a No. 3 overall draft pick, but relatively speaking, $7 million over two years is not a lot of money for your defending leading scorer and possible future captain who led the NHL with 104 takeaways last season.
The wildcard, like it is with all unsigned RFAs, is the looming specter of an offer sheet.
There’s also the added issue of Colorado’s depth down the middle. Paul Stastny and Duchene are on the books for a combined $10.1 million until 2014, and 2010 first rounder Joey Hishon looks like a strong possibility to be at Avalanche training camp this fall after missing all of last year with a concussion.
This isn’t to say O’Reilly’s expendable — far from it. But it is saying the Avs might be tight with the purse strings when it comes to signing him, especially since they still haven’t hit the salary cap floor.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)