Aug 7, 2012, 9:23 PM EDT
The Minnesota Wild are set to see a couple of youngsters get their shot to make the Wild next season.
Finnish highlight reel maker Mikael Granlund and Denver University standout Jason Zucker will look to break through right away, but that’s not all the Wild have when it comes to hot prospects. When you take a look at what’s coming down the pipe, you can understand why Zach Parise and Ryan Suter were excited to land in St. Paul.
Minnesota has a pair of recent draftees in center Zack Phillips and defenseman Jonas Brodin as well as the acquisition of Charlie Coyle (from San Jose) who they’re sky-high on. Now we’re left to wonder who out of this bunch will be the first to make a splash in the NHL.
Phillips and Coyle were teammates at St. John in the QMJHL, a powerhouse team of late if there ever was one.
Coyle left Boston University to play in the Q in his abbreviated season he piled up 38 points (15 goals) in 23 games. In the playoffs, he was a monster adding another 34 points (15 goals again) in 17 games. Meanwhile, Phillips scored 30 goals with 80 points this past season with another 32 points in the postseason. That’ll do, kid.
Brodin spent his time in the Swedish league with Farjestad and is poised to come to North America this season. Brodin isn’t an offensive blue liner as he had just eight points this past season. The Wild are in need of a solid two-way guy and he could be the answer.
Of these three, Coyle seems most ready to make the leap. At 6’2″ and 207 pounds, he could be an impact forward in the league. What do you think though? Give a vote in our poll.
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 8
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 27
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 44
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20