Aug 7, 2012, 9:23 PM EDT
The Minnesota Wild are set to see a couple of youngsters get their shot to make the Wild next season.
Finnish highlight reel maker Mikael Granlund and Denver University standout Jason Zucker will look to break through right away, but that’s not all the Wild have when it comes to hot prospects. When you take a look at what’s coming down the pipe, you can understand why Zach Parise and Ryan Suter were excited to land in St. Paul.
Minnesota has a pair of recent draftees in center Zack Phillips and defenseman Jonas Brodin as well as the acquisition of Charlie Coyle (from San Jose) who they’re sky-high on. Now we’re left to wonder who out of this bunch will be the first to make a splash in the NHL.
Phillips and Coyle were teammates at St. John in the QMJHL, a powerhouse team of late if there ever was one.
Coyle left Boston University to play in the Q in his abbreviated season he piled up 38 points (15 goals) in 23 games. In the playoffs, he was a monster adding another 34 points (15 goals again) in 17 games. Meanwhile, Phillips scored 30 goals with 80 points this past season with another 32 points in the postseason. That’ll do, kid.
Brodin spent his time in the Swedish league with Farjestad and is poised to come to North America this season. Brodin isn’t an offensive blue liner as he had just eight points this past season. The Wild are in need of a solid two-way guy and he could be the answer.
Of these three, Coyle seems most ready to make the leap. At 6’2″ and 207 pounds, he could be an impact forward in the league. What do you think though? Give a vote in our poll.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 13
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 20
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 60
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 84
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 7
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 52
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional