Aug 7, 2012, 9:23 PM EDT
The Minnesota Wild are set to see a couple of youngsters get their shot to make the Wild next season.
Finnish highlight reel maker Mikael Granlund and Denver University standout Jason Zucker will look to break through right away, but that’s not all the Wild have when it comes to hot prospects. When you take a look at what’s coming down the pipe, you can understand why Zach Parise and Ryan Suter were excited to land in St. Paul.
Minnesota has a pair of recent draftees in center Zack Phillips and defenseman Jonas Brodin as well as the acquisition of Charlie Coyle (from San Jose) who they’re sky-high on. Now we’re left to wonder who out of this bunch will be the first to make a splash in the NHL.
Phillips and Coyle were teammates at St. John in the QMJHL, a powerhouse team of late if there ever was one.
Coyle left Boston University to play in the Q in his abbreviated season he piled up 38 points (15 goals) in 23 games. In the playoffs, he was a monster adding another 34 points (15 goals again) in 17 games. Meanwhile, Phillips scored 30 goals with 80 points this past season with another 32 points in the postseason. That’ll do, kid.
Brodin spent his time in the Swedish league with Farjestad and is poised to come to North America this season. Brodin isn’t an offensive blue liner as he had just eight points this past season. The Wild are in need of a solid two-way guy and he could be the answer.
Of these three, Coyle seems most ready to make the leap. At 6’2″ and 207 pounds, he could be an impact forward in the league. What do you think though? Give a vote in our poll.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)