Aug 7, 2012, 3:30 PM EST
As noted by Kevin Woodley of In Goal Magazine, former Chicago netminder Cristobal Huet told French news outlet L’Equipe he’s been in contact with Vancouver and Los Angeles about a return to the NHL.
“Huet tells L’Equipe [he] talked with Kings and Canucks,” Woodley tweeted. “No surprise on latter if/when trade Luongo [occurs].”
Woodley also notes Huet has a good relationship with Vancouver goalie coach Rollie Melanson.
Huet hasn’t played in the NHL since serving as Antti Niemi‘s backup during Chicago’s Stanley Cup victory in 2010. That was followed by a “loan” to Fribourg-Gotteron of the Swiss League, a clever way for the ‘Hawks to make his massive cap hit disappear.
Funny thing happened in Switzerland, though — Huet found his game. He posted a .932 save percentage and 1.99 GAA last season and, coincidentally, his albatrossian four-year, $22.5 million deal expired.
In early July, Huet told In Goal he wanted back in North America.
“I still belong, I’m better than some other guys, and I’d like another shot,” Huet said. “I’d love to come back, but I know once you are out of the league a little bit guys tend to forget about you and that’s the nature of the beast.”
Now 36, Huet would be a solid veteran presence in a backup role. That’s key, because both rumored suitors — Vancouver and L.A. — are both rumored to be shopping one of their goalies (Jonathan Bernier, Luongo.)
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)