Aug 7, 2012, 8:00 PM EDT
It looks like prospective Coyotes owner Greg Jamison isn’t the only guy in need of cash for a team.
According to Josh Kosman of the New York Post, Devils owner Jeff Vanderbeek is seeking $20 million to help pay off overdue loans. Despite the bleak news, Kosman’s source remains upbeat.
“He has not given up,” a source close to the Newark franchise said yesterday, adding confidently that Vanderbeek will raise the $20 million needed and work out a solution to remain in charge of the team.
Vanderbeek has been in search of cash for the team since September when the team reportedly missed an $80 million loan repayment. He reportedly has until August 14, a week from today, to pay off the lenders or he could lose control of the team.
As was reported after the Stanley Cup finals, the NHL reportedly has a Coyotes-like takeover plan in place for the Devils should Vanderbeek fall short of the funds needed to remain in control. The league has denied those reports, however.
With CBA negotiations going on and the league already neck-deep in problems in Phoenix, this could be shaping up into another financial mess for the NHL to wrangle. Maybe the owners want to go over that revenue sharing stuff one more time.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 10
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)