Aug 7, 2012, 8:00 PM EDT
It looks like prospective Coyotes owner Greg Jamison isn’t the only guy in need of cash for a team.
According to Josh Kosman of the New York Post, Devils owner Jeff Vanderbeek is seeking $20 million to help pay off overdue loans. Despite the bleak news, Kosman’s source remains upbeat.
“He has not given up,” a source close to the Newark franchise said yesterday, adding confidently that Vanderbeek will raise the $20 million needed and work out a solution to remain in charge of the team.
Vanderbeek has been in search of cash for the team since September when the team reportedly missed an $80 million loan repayment. He reportedly has until August 14, a week from today, to pay off the lenders or he could lose control of the team.
As was reported after the Stanley Cup finals, the NHL reportedly has a Coyotes-like takeover plan in place for the Devils should Vanderbeek fall short of the funds needed to remain in control. The league has denied those reports, however.
With CBA negotiations going on and the league already neck-deep in problems in Phoenix, this could be shaping up into another financial mess for the NHL to wrangle. Maybe the owners want to go over that revenue sharing stuff one more time.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 13
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 24
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 42
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)