Aug 7, 2012, 10:34 AM EDT
Defensively speaking, it’s already been a rough summer for the Flyers.
On Monday, it got worse.
A tweet sent out by Philadelphia’s official account reported defenseman Andrej Meszaros suffered a torn Achilles tendon while training in his native Slovakia — this coming just days after Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said Meszaros was completely healed from last season’s back surgery.
“Andrej had successful surgery this morning to repair a torn right Achilles tendon,” Holmgren said in a statement. “The surgery was performed by Dr. Steve Raikin at Jefferson Hospital in Philadelphia.
“Andrej was injured last week during summer training in Slovakia. Andrej will be out indefinitely.”
The typical recovery period for a torn Achilles can be six to eight months or more, which means Meszaros is possibly in danger of missing the entire 2012-13 season.
The loss is a huge one for the Flyers’ defense, especially given the assumed absence of Chris Pronger, the departure of free agent Matt Carle for Tampa Bay last month and the failed attempts to acquire defensemen Ryan Suter and Shea Weber. Meszaros, when healthy, is one of the team’s top D-men.
No matter how you look at it, the Flyers’ D is weaker now than it was a year ago.
The injury leaves Philly to start the season with a projected top-six of Kimmo Timonen, Braydon Coburn, Luke Schenn, Nicklas Grossmann, Bruno Gervais, and Andreas Lilja (one would expect Erik Gustafsson to be in the mix as well.)
So…P.K. Subban offer sheet, anyone?
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)