Aug 7, 2012, 1:00 PM EST
From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
35-36-11, 80 points. Fourth in the Northwest Division, 12th in the Western Conference.
First round, 7th overall — Mathew Dumba, D (WHL Red Deer)
No team changed its identity this summer more dramatically than the Minnesota Wild.
Of course, that’s what you get by spending over $200 million in free agency. While most of that went to ex-Nashville defenseman Suter and former New Jersey Devils captain Parise, the Wild also spent significantly in upgrading forward depth with Mitchell, Dowell and ex-Ottawa tough guy Konopka.
But let’s not kid ourselves — this offseason was all about Suter and Parise. By inking the pair, owner Craig Leipold not only drastically improved his on-ice product, but also added star power to his club. The Wild are a marquee attraction that has been buoyed by a surge in season ticket and merchandise sales, a club that will likely garner plenty more attention when they set out on the road this year.
The real wildcard of Minnesota’s offseason is that Parise and Suter were added to an organization boasting incredible prospect depth. Mikael Granlund, Charlie Coyle and Jonas Brodin could all challenge for roster spots in 2012-13, which would create an exciting mix of established veterans (lest we forget Mikko Koivu, Dany Heatley et. al) and young talents.
There’s also the fact that, as late as December of last season, the Wild were in top spot in the NHL. Head coach Mike Yeo had them playing a tight, scrappy and defensive-oriented game that was highly successful until injuries and the law of averages caught up. By adding some more talented pieces to a solid core, there’s major belief the Wild will be back in the postseason in 2012-13.
Whatever the case, this should be one of the most highly anticipated seasons in franchise history…if not the most.
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of the Wild’s 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 0
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 1
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)