Aug 7, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today we continue with the Minnesota Wild.
In 2011-12, they missed the playoffs for the fourth straight year and, with just 81 points in 82 games, posted their worst record since the 2001-02 campaign. The timing seemed right to shake things up and they did just that.
As if that wasn’t enough, top-tier prospect Mikael Granlund might be ready to not only join the team, but serve as a top-six forward in his rookie season.
There’s certainly a lot of buzz and excitement surrounding the Wild going into the 2012-13 campaign. The odds of them winning the Stanley Cup have vastly improved and the signings resulted in a jump in season ticket sales.
But is all this optimism warranted? Are the additions of Suter, Parise, and Granlund enough to immediately transform the Minnesota Wild from a bottom of the conference team to a legitimate Cup contender?
Stay tuned for our extended coverage of the Wild.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 9
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)