Aug 7, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today we continue with the Minnesota Wild.
In 2011-12, they missed the playoffs for the fourth straight year and, with just 81 points in 82 games, posted their worst record since the 2001-02 campaign. The timing seemed right to shake things up and they did just that.
As if that wasn’t enough, top-tier prospect Mikael Granlund might be ready to not only join the team, but serve as a top-six forward in his rookie season.
There’s certainly a lot of buzz and excitement surrounding the Wild going into the 2012-13 campaign. The odds of them winning the Stanley Cup have vastly improved and the signings resulted in a jump in season ticket sales.
But is all this optimism warranted? Are the additions of Suter, Parise, and Granlund enough to immediately transform the Minnesota Wild from a bottom of the conference team to a legitimate Cup contender?
Stay tuned for our extended coverage of the Wild.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)