Aug 7, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today we continue with the Minnesota Wild.
In 2011-12, they missed the playoffs for the fourth straight year and, with just 81 points in 82 games, posted their worst record since the 2001-02 campaign. The timing seemed right to shake things up and they did just that.
As if that wasn’t enough, top-tier prospect Mikael Granlund might be ready to not only join the team, but serve as a top-six forward in his rookie season.
There’s certainly a lot of buzz and excitement surrounding the Wild going into the 2012-13 campaign. The odds of them winning the Stanley Cup have vastly improved and the signings resulted in a jump in season ticket sales.
But is all this optimism warranted? Are the additions of Suter, Parise, and Granlund enough to immediately transform the Minnesota Wild from a bottom of the conference team to a legitimate Cup contender?
Stay tuned for our extended coverage of the Wild.
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 9
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 10
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)