Aug 7, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today we continue with the Minnesota Wild.
In 2011-12, they missed the playoffs for the fourth straight year and, with just 81 points in 82 games, posted their worst record since the 2001-02 campaign. The timing seemed right to shake things up and they did just that.
As if that wasn’t enough, top-tier prospect Mikael Granlund might be ready to not only join the team, but serve as a top-six forward in his rookie season.
There’s certainly a lot of buzz and excitement surrounding the Wild going into the 2012-13 campaign. The odds of them winning the Stanley Cup have vastly improved and the signings resulted in a jump in season ticket sales.
But is all this optimism warranted? Are the additions of Suter, Parise, and Granlund enough to immediately transform the Minnesota Wild from a bottom of the conference team to a legitimate Cup contender?
Stay tuned for our extended coverage of the Wild.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 9
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 14
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)