Aug 7, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
In a conference call following news of Andrej Meszaros’ torn Achilles tendon, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren wouldn’t say if he’d explore the trade or free agent route to find a replacement blueliner.
He did say the club would look from within — and possibly rely on its youth.
“We’ve got a lot of young kids that we like,” Holmgren said. “Marc-Andre Bourdon played a lot of games for us last year. Erik Gustafsson played a fair amount. Brandon Manning got his feet wet, so we do have some kids that we like.”
Bourdon, 22, appeared in 45 games in his first NHL season, scoring 4G-3A-7PTS while averaging over 16 minutes a night. He only appeared in one of Philly’s playoff games, though.
Gustafsson, 23, was less of a factor in the regular season (30GP: 1G-4A-5PTS) but made his mark in the postseason, scoring two points in seven contests while averaging over 17 minutes of ice time.
Manning, 22, played in four games for Philly last year, spending almost all his time in AHL Adirondack.
Holmgren was further pressed on questions about trades and free agency, but wouldn’t bite.
Instead, here’s CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio on possible acquisitions:
Now the question becomes, will the Flyers go the free agent route or try to pull off a trade for a major upgrade, such as targeting Dan Boyle in San Jose.
Still left on the free agent market are Michal Rozsival, who would be an expensive upgrade, but so would a trade for Boyle, who is not a free agent.
Of note, the Flyers could have nearly $9 million in cap space freed up if both Meszaros and Chris Pronger open the season on long term injured reserve.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 0
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 25
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)